Xbox 360 and Surround Sound - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-09-2008, 01:48 PM

That's what I was thinking but I didn't want to start a big argument on my first post on the forums

Kevin
Old 07-10-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It depends on the 360 and the equipment. My premium 360 won't do more than 2.0 over HDMi. Unfortunatly I have to use the optical out to get 5.1. That is the only video device I need optical for multichannel audio. I use HDMI for my other twenty devices for audio output.
Are you sure your 360 isn't defective? I mean, there's no technical reason why that should happen.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi View Post
Are you sure your 360 isn't defective? I mean, there's no technical reason why that should happen.
It's is a normal occurance from what I've read. Actually the norm is for it not to pass the multichannel audio over HDMI. I messed with it a long time ago, researched it, and talked to Microsoft. Since then I haven't messed with it and just keep using the optical out.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:38 PM

You could always run HDMI from your xbox into your tv and optical audio from your tv to your receiver if the receiver does not support audio through hdmi
Old 07-21-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It's is a normal occurance from what I've read. Actually the norm is for it not to pass the multichannel audio over HDMI. I messed with it a long time ago, researched it, and talked to Microsoft. Since then I haven't messed with it and just keep using the optical out.
I've noticed that occasionally my 360 will show up on my recv as Pro Logic. I noticed it for the first time playing GTA4 and I had no seperation just L&R basically. If I just restart it then it will light up as DD. I wonder what causes this?
Old 07-23-2008, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbs383 View Post
You could always run HDMI from your xbox into your tv and optical audio from your tv to your receiver if the receiver does not support audio through hdmi
This still wouldnt work because the original source (HDMI) would only output 2-channels, your TV cant magically turn it into a true discrete 5.1. However, I have heard no where that the Premiums DONT output 5.1 through HDMI. I will have to do some research.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
You will need to purchase this for your Audio needs, as the 360 doesn't pass AUDIO via HDMI:
Yeah it does.....FYI
Old 08-01-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickengas View Post
Yeah it does.....FYI
That may be true, but it doesn't pass HD audio, bitstream or PCM. You can get your standard DVD quality though!
Old 05-12-2010, 12:43 PM

hi guys

i have a Sony STR-DH500 AV receiver paired with a Sony 5.1 speaker setup.
I have it connected to an Xbox. I what I used to do on my old sony analogue 6.1 speaker system is stream music to it and get multi-stereo through all speakers. I received sound from my 24" samsung monitor display which has an audio out. I connected it with RCA to stereo to the amp.

NOW, I have since upgraded, and now something is bothering me.
I have broken that link between audio out from screen and I am now using optical from the Xbox [via component HD] to the amplifier optical out. [i modded the component cable casing to do this].

so i have digital audio now. And I have the audio setting on the xbox set to dolby digital. When I play music, I ONLY get sound from front left and right speakers, and not from the other three. This is despite having the settings on the amp set to multi-stereo. It's friggin' annoying... can anyone explain this?