unplayable HD DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-21-2010, 03:20 PM

Default unplayable HD DVD

I just opened Lethal Weapon(which I have had for about 6 months) and it won't play in any player, I believe it to be defective, I probably bought it new from Ebay, so my question is has anyone had an issue like this (where you have owned for some time before finding out it was unplayable), and is it possible to get a replacement (perhaps from Warner)?
Old 01-26-2010, 05:38 AM

Which Player do you use? Maybe youŽll need an firmware upgrade. I think it is a broken disc, because I had no trouble with Lethal Weapon.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:35 AM

I've never had a problem playing any of my 25 or so discs. Did you try another disc to make sure it's not the player? I can't imagine it being a firmware upgrade for such an old title. I have an A2 btw.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:10 PM

I tried it in 4 players that were all current with firmware. I believe it to be a disk issue.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:28 PM

Lethal Weapon wasnt HDi enabled, or a combo so any widespread issues with this disc are unlikey. Sounds like a defective disc.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Warners will help you with this.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:00 AM

Definitely going to be out of luck on getting a replacement on this. Of course you can try, and maybe you would get the dvd version out of it. That's what happened to me 2 summers ago when the discs were dumped to Walmart Canada - I had Michael Clayton which had a huge gash, and they offered a DVD - it's now 18 months later, and that more unlikely to get anything, especially since the red2blu offer went into effect.

That being said, have you tried washing the disc in hot water? There's often a film on the disc that you can wash off, and that may help things out. You mostly heard the issue with combo discs, but I had issues with Battlestar Galactica and it worked.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:56 PM

The only one in which that happened to me was probably my all-time favorite film: The Adventures of Robin Hood. I had probably only skipped through to preview it, but when I actually sat down to watch it, it froze in a certain spot. Fortunately, I was able to get a replacement @ Fry's for $6.99 that played fine. Eventually I got another copy when I traded the cover of the defective one for the Blu-ray version during WB's Red2Blu program.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharbath View Post
I just opened Lethal Weapon(which I have had for about 6 months) and it won't play in any player, I believe it to be defective, I probably bought it new from Ebay, so my question is has anyone had an issue like this (where you have owned for some time before finding out it was unplayable), and is it possible to get a replacement (perhaps from Warner)?
Try contacting Warner Bros. I have had excellent support from studios regarding defective titles. It is unlikely they will have a redplacement HD-DVD, but you may be able to work something else out.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:06 PM

Its not the best option but you can probably pick up another one for a few bucks, but check it when it arrives