'Liar Liar' - High-Def Diget review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-19-2007, 12:23 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'Liar Liar' - High-Def Diget review

Kenneth's review of 'Liar Liar' is up. He says fans of the film and/or Carrey's earlier work are sure to have a good time with this one, and enjoy its decent audio package, but in what is becoming an unfortunate trend with many of Universal's more recent catalogue titles, he says the visual presentation is disappointingly sub-par compared to other high-def catalogue titles.

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/liarliar.html
Old 06-19-2007, 11:38 AM

This is depressing, I was hoping that HD was a format where film lovers could get the most out of movie classics, but it seems to be aimed at people who will buy any old crap.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Always SpartanJohnson

That's why I don't buy catalog releases usually. Why can't Universal pull out transfers like Warner Bros. catalog releases? haha.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:50 AM

Why can't catalog releases be $14.99?
Old 06-19-2007, 12:13 PM

I got such a kick watching Bruce Almighty last night wih my wife, that I am going ahead and ordering this one too. JI had forgotten how funny Jim Carey can be.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:39 PM

I guess I am the only one who thought Liar Liar looked fine on HD DVD.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:24 AM

No I have to say I rented it and had absolutely no complaints about the PQ. Looking at some other reviews it seems there are many positive reviews for pq.

Take a look at this for yourself if you might want to buy it, to me it looked pretty great for a comedy. I'm honestly not sure what the reviewer was expecting as I guarantee this is far better than it looked in theatres.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:55 AM

Ok I now have ZERO faith in the reviews in this website. I saw this last night on my 1080p 61" TV and I have to say that it deserved a much better rating that it was given here. It looked absolutely great and if that movie is a 3 on this site then at least I know that anything with a 3 has the potential to look outstanding (at least according to this site). I think this website is doing a disservice to HDDVD with reviews like this. For this movie the image was so crisp and definetly had that 3-Dimensional feel that we have come to expect from a High Def movie.

Anyhow just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Crypter; 07-25-2007 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:24 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypter View Post
Ok I now have ZERO faith in the reviews in this website. I saw this last night on my 1080p 61" TV and I have to say that it deserved a much better rating that it was given here. It looked absolutely great and if that movie is a 3 on this site then I at least now I know that anything with a 3 has the potential to look outstanding. I think this website is doing a disservice to HDDVD with reviews like this. For this movie the image was so crisp and definetly had that 3-Dimensional feel that we have come to expect from a High Def movie.

Anyhow just my 2 cents.
Just keep in mind that a "3" is above average (a "2.5 being middle-of-the-road). A "3" isn't as bad as some fan reaction seems to imply. Also keep in mind that simply putting any film on HD will result in a crisper, more vivid picture that feels more three-dimensional. But HD allows for much more.

Most other review sites have also scored the video in the 3-3.5 range.

To be blunt, a higher score would do a disservice to other HD DVD titles -- 'Born on the Fourth of July' looks significantly better than 'Liar Liar' and had more hurdles to overcome (it scored a "4") and 'The Matrix' films are leaps and bounds better than 'Liar Liar' (they scored a "5").

It would be unfair to put 'Liar Liar' at the same level of either of these films even though it looks better-than-average. By that token, everything would be a "4" or "5" simply for looking good in high-def (aside from transfers with glaring technical problems).

I certainly don't want to incense an argument -- just though it would be helpful to know where I was coming from. Thanks as always for posting!
Old 07-24-2007, 03:40 PM

Hi Ken,

I appreciate your answers. I just wanted to clarify why I "think" perception might be skewed. I think many people think of 3 as being average because there are 2 whole points below it and 2 above it, whereas there are 2 "whole" points below 2.5 and 3 above it.

Also, even on this site, the stars are defined as:

***** Excellent
**** Good
*** Average
** Bad
* Terrible

Look at the sub menu for "Rate Thread" in any of these threads to see these definitions. Based on this 3 stars is just a step above "bad" and less than "good". I also tend to thing of 3 stars as just plain average most anywhere and 2.5 as meaning below average. I don't think my interpretation is that different from the general interpretation.

Also, I realize that your analysis is based on 2.5 being 1/2 of 5, which is mathematically correct if the rating is zero based (and perhaps you have the option of choosing a score less than 1), however in almost any place a regular user is allowed to vote, 1 is typically the worst score allowed which means that the midway point in those cases is actually 3, hence "average"

-Blurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
Just keep in mind that a "3" is above average (a "2.5 being middle-of-the-road). A "3" isn't as bad as some fan reaction seems to imply. Also keep in mind that simply putting any film on HD will result in a crisper, more vivid picture that feels more three-dimensional. But HD allows for much more.

Most other review sites have also scored the video in the 3-3.5 range.

To be blunt, a higher score would do a disservice to other HD DVD titles -- 'Born on the Fourth of July' looks significantly better than 'Liar Liar' and had more hurdles to overcome (it scored a "4") and 'The Matrix' films are leaps and bounds better than 'Liar Liar' (they scored a "5").

It would be unfair to put 'Liar Liar' at the same level of either of these films even though it looks better-than-average. By that token, everything would be a "4" or "5" simply for looking good in high-def (aside from transfers with glaring technical problems).

I certainly don't want to incense an argument -- just though it would be helpful to know where I was coming from. Thanks as always for posting!