Seems more people are selling their collections lately - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2010, 10:04 AM

Default Seems more people are selling their collections lately

I've noticed whole collections being put up lately in big numbers. It seems the prices have dropped out on the majority of the software. So, why is it a good time to convert your hd's to blu's? If you've had them for this long wouldn't you just hold on to them and continue using your player. I am still collecting a few here and there and find it would probably be a waste of time and money to dump all the movies I've accumalated on HD DVD. This is just an observation and I would like to hear from you guys. Where do you stand?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:33 AM

When HD DVD production stopped I asked myself why not sell my collection right away. But for me the most important was not the money thou it comes as the second but the time of hunting all the HD DVDs I would like to have the most from allover the world. And even if the list of titles were quite small then I just had put so much time to figure out what to buy and waited and checked all the bargains. Time is money and it is precious for everybody. If I could change for about free my HD DVD collection to BD then I would re-consider to swap my HD DVD collection. I just hope someone to produce a player somewhere in the future that can read all my precious HD DVDs.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Banned

For me, I am selling off some of the crap that I got by buying lots of HD DVDs at low prices. I was picking up tons of lots from Craigslist for a song, and selling the players for typically 2-4x the price I paid for the whole lot and piecing out the rest of the movies.

But now, I'm just selling off the movies I'll never watch again or the few I upgraded to Blu-ray (simply for series sakes...like having all the 'Dead' films on one format). It's only been about 10 titles though so it's not a big deal.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
or the few I upgraded to Blu-ray (simply for series sakes...like having all the 'Dead' films on one format).
Yeah, I like having a series on one format as well. So I've been selling those few HD DVDs. I've also sold a few that I wanted lossless audio for, and of course I've been selling off blind buys I didn't enjoy or pure impulse buys. But I have kept the majority of my collection, still sitting at about 250 I think.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester217300 View Post
Yeah, I like having a series on one format as well. So I've been selling those few HD DVDs. I've also sold a few that I wanted lossless audio for, and of course I've been selling off blind buys I didn't enjoy or pure impulse buys. But I have kept the majority of my collection, still sitting at about 250 I think.
For me, the HD DVD to Blu upgrades have been
Land and Dawn of the dead
Clerks II
Serenity (gotta match Firefly)
The Mummy 1 and 2

I think that's it. I might do Army of Darkness if Evil Dead ever comes out. Probably Planet Earth as well.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester217300 View Post
I just did that with the Terminator films because the third one was HD DVD while the rest were Blu. I am thinking about selling some of my HD DVDs that I'll never watch again like End of Days (totally unbelievable, Aeon Flux (terrible script), and Assault on Precinct 13 (original was better).
Old 01-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Banned

I actually sold my T3 for more $ then I bought the Blu for.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:06 PM

I think i'm hanging onto mine unless something that i'd really wants gets released/re-released with lossless audio. As for the HD-DVD's I already have with lossless audio, i'm keeping those at all cost.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post
I think i'm hanging onto mine unless something that i'd really wants gets released/re-released with lossless audio. As for the HD-DVD's I already have with lossless audio, i'm keeping those at all cost.
Thats what I was thinking too although sometimes I feel like I would love to dump them all and just forget it. I also have some series that are split up between blu and red and I hate that. Meh.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:11 PM

Yeah, it's been an interesting fluctuation that has taken place over the past 2 (!) years. People dumped whole collections right off the bat, and prices dropped. Then there was a leveling out, and I've noticed a few runs, but the past few weeks seem to be more like you've mentioned.

I think a lot of people are at a crossroad right now, and they have to decide whether they're in to the end, or to get what they can. If you're in to the end, and you only have 25 discs, then it's not a big loss. But if you're over 100 titles, then you have to have a few players in the house for the inevitable hardware dying. And that in itself is hard to justify, especially if you have a family.

The other part is about replacing the HD DVD movies with Blu-rays. I have to say, although people are probably only getting $2 or $3 per title on average, they're probably only replacing a small percentage of the titles that they own. I noticed that I have 30 titles out of 200+ that I've owned that I've watched more than once. If I was to get rid of all my movies, I'd probably replace 20-25% of them over time, so even the small amount I'd get back would cover the replacements...

For myself, I had decided to strip down my collection from 200 to 150, but when you're only getting $1 or $2 after shipping, not including the time spent, I have rolled back from that. Sure, I may never care to watch a few of the titles again, but it's not worth getting rid of them. And there's a bit of pride in the fact that I'll be at 200 of this "dead' format!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpizzapie View Post
I've noticed whole collections being put up lately in big numbers. It seems the prices have dropped out on the majority of the software. So, why is it a good time to convert your hd's to blu's? If you've had them for this long wouldn't you just hold on to them and continue using your player. I am still collecting a few here and there and find it would probably be a waste of time and money to dump all the movies I've accumalated on HD DVD. This is just an observation and I would like to hear from you guys. Where do you stand?