Black Rain Japanese HD DVD & other Japanese HD DVD better than US versions? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-31-2009, 12:01 PM

Black Rain Japanese HD DVD & other Japanese HD DVD better than US versions?

Can anyone comment based on their own experience? Are any Japanese HD DVD's better than the US releases in terms of AQ or PQ. I own over 430 HD DVD's, but am still considering a few here and there. However, if they are not different, I may skip them.

Thanks all,
DB
Old 12-31-2009, 12:12 PM

Most are exactly the same, unless it's a different distributor over there.

In the case of Black Rain, the original release had a bonus disc not available anywhere else but, unfortunately, it was all in Japanese AFAIK. It's been out of print for quite a while.

It's a shame. Black Rain finally got an anamorphic release but no lossless audio
Old 12-31-2009, 02:30 PM

IMO, I think import HD DVDs got better treatment than domestics. Most Euro HD DVDs came with lossless audio tracks before domestics did. I feel cheated when I see all the early release Euro and Japanese HD DVDs with better audio than domestic releases. Granted there are some good titles with lossless from US distributors, they didn't come until close to the end of the line. If US studios were as efficient as Euro studios were, I think HD DVD might have had a fighting chance.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:05 PM

Keep in mind that Black Rain has a fair amount of Japanese dialogue in it. American video releases automatically prompt English subtitles for those scenes, but I'd assume that's not the case with Japanese video editions. More likely, it's the opposite, and the movie defaults to Japanese subtitles over the English dialogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettzysdaddy View Post
IMO, I think import HD DVDs got better treatment than domestics. Most Euro HD DVDs came with lossless audio tracks before domestics did.
Yes, but the majority of those Studio Canal HD DVDs, although technically encoded in lossless format, suffered from severe audio pitch problems.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:54 PM

I don't remember many subtitles in Black Rain. Josh, I know you're a huge fan of the filme. Care to re-watch?
Old 01-01-2010, 12:28 PM

Thanks all for your replies-I appreciate it. I have most of the Japanese HD DVD's that are English friendly,but Black Rain and Chronicles are 2 I may still buy. Both can still be ordered, so I may leave them on my list for now
Old 01-01-2010, 12:52 PM

I don't think there would be any PQ difference in regards to Japanese HD DVDs released by the same US studios. Here are the US titles released by a different studio in Japan. The PQ is at least as good, if not better, the main difference being an AVC encode rather than VC-1 (almost all Japanese releases are AVC). Also of note, Sahara and U-571 are open matte 1.78:1 aspect ratio, as opposed to the US 2.40:1 AR.

Appleseed Ex Machina (Pony Canyon)
Babel (Gaga)
March of the Penguins (Gaga)
Phantom of the Opera (Gaga)
Sahara (Gaga)
U-571 (Gaga)
The Chronicles of Riddick (Toshiba Ent.)
The Pianist (Toshiba Ent.)
Planet Earth (Geneon)
Old 01-02-2010, 06:19 PM

Thanks Bruce!