Star Trek TOS arrived today! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-08-2009, 05:58 PM

Default Star Trek TOS arrived today!

I need some help with this. I ordered the TOS from Amazon last week and it arrived today. Instead of the Combo HD DVD / DVD on the front, it only has "Remastered DVD Edition" on the front. I thought about this after I ordered it and hoped that it would have the old front on it. It didn't.

Now, I'm pretty sure they are gonna be combo discs, but before I open it I want to make sure the HD DVD content is on here. I've looked around and found nothing, but the Amazon page says that it is. Can someone confirm that the HD DVD is still on this set?

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:56 PM

First off, the obvious - only season 1 was a combo HD DVD / DVD set, so if you ordered season 2 or 3, you're out of luck.

That being said, I noticed Seasons 2 & 3 on DVD have, on the spine, wording saying Star Trek S2 or S3, while the combo version did not. If you bought season 1, I'd be interested in knowing if they have "Star Trek S1" on that spine now.

Otherwise, on the back info sheet, there was mention of the HD DVD features, so if that lists nothing with HD DVD, then they have remade Season 1, and you'd be better off buying a secondhand set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I need some help with this. I ordered the TOS from Amazon last week and it arrived today. Instead of the Combo HD DVD / DVD on the front, it only has "Remastered DVD Edition" on the front. I thought about this after I ordered it and hoped that it would have the old front on it. It didn't.

Now, I'm pretty sure they are gonna be combo discs, but before I open it I want to make sure the HD DVD content is on here. I've looked around and found nothing, but the Amazon page says that it is. Can someone confirm that the HD DVD is still on this set?

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-08-2009, 08:18 PM

They've repackaged the season-one set with single-sided DVD's only, and it looks nearly identical to the original SKU, but the combo version is plainly marked "HD DVD combo format DVD" above the silver "Star Trek" font on the front of the yellow box inside the plastic shell. I nearly grabbed the wrong one at Wal Mart. but checked to make sure....the last combo set was behind a couple of DVD-only packages at the same $49.99 price.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:26 PM

If you go to Walmart again and see the repackaged season one set, could you tell me if they've included the spine wording on that? I haven't seen one anywhere around me, and I really like the look on my S2 & S3 sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Roberts View Post
They've repackaged the season-one set with single-sided DVD's only, and it looks nearly identical to the original SKU, but the combo version is plainly marked "HD DVD combo format DVD" above the silver "Star Trek" font on the front of the yellow box inside the plastic shell. I nearly grabbed the wrong one at Wal Mart. but checked to make sure....the last combo set was behind a couple of DVD-only packages at the same $49.99 price.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeags View Post
If you go to Walmart again and see the repackaged season one set, could you tell me if they've included the spine wording on that? I haven't seen one anywhere around me, and I really like the look on my S2 & S3 sets.
I'll do that, but the only difference I remember seeing was the wording above the Star Trek font on the front of the yellow cover, and I looked very carefully. I think Trip recieved a DVD-only set.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:43 PM

I just checked Amazon, and it appears that the season 1 DVD package doesn't have any lettering on the spine either. Here's a link to a picture of the spine's of all three products:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Orig...0322718&sr=1-6
Old 12-08-2009, 09:10 PM

By looking at the front view they're showing it as the combo set for season one, but I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same paper for the remastered DVD only set. Thanks for the link though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Roberts View Post
I just checked Amazon, and it appears that the season 1 DVD package doesn't have any lettering on the spine either. Here's a link to a picture of the spine's of all three products:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Orig...0322718&sr=1-6
Old 12-08-2009, 10:44 PM

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. 1st off, yes, is definitely season 1. Season One is on the spine, there is no mention of HD DVD anywhere on the box. Unfortunately, it shows only english 5.1 for audio.

As far as the link to the set at Amazon, I found this wording to be interesting:
"Season 1 of this set is a HD-DVD/Std Definition combo disc. Please note the disc may not work if you have it on the incorrect side."

Since there are so many reviews on the set with buyers saying the discs won't work & returning them, it would be possible for them to show as DVD only to eliminate the confusion. Damnit, in their attempt to eliminate the confusion they are confusing me!
Old 12-08-2009, 11:02 PM

Definitely the DVD only version then. Sorry to hear that, but I was wondering when this was going to happen. I figured some day they had to produce more season 1 discs, and they are now coming out in force. I just did a search at Amazon, and they now only list the DVD remastered version and the Region 2 HD DVD version from the UK, so I think you fell through the cracks with bad timing of the purchase.

I have a sealed combo version I was thinking of selling, so pm me if you're interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Thanks for the responses and suggestions. 1st off, yes, is definitely season 1. Season One is on the spine, there is no mention of HD DVD anywhere on the box. Unfortunately, it shows only english 5.1 for audio.

As far as the link to the set at Amazon, I found this wording to be interesting:
"Season 1 of this set is a HD-DVD/Std Definition combo disc. Please note the disc may not work if you have it on the incorrect side."

Since there are so many reviews on the set with buyers saying the discs won't work & returning them, it would be possible for them to show as DVD only to eliminate the confusion. Damnit, in their attempt to eliminate the confusion they are confusing me!
Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 PM

Well, after receiving assurance from Amazon that the set can be returned with a full refund, I opened it. Although the discs are combos, the HD DVD has been left off making this a DVD only set. I was hoping they would have changed only the packaging, but no such luck.

On the other hand, who designed the packaging for that set? It's a pain in the ass trying to get a disc out of there...

If you're thinking of picking this up, make sure the HD DVD/DVD combo is on the front, not the DVD remaster.

Thanks for the offer on the set joeags, but I've already seen the Blu at $40 used, so if I repurchase it Blu it will be.