Are HD DVDs really worth anything? I dunno... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-07-2009, 11:23 AM

Default Are HD DVDs really worth anything? I dunno...

Ive tried to sell a few decent titles and even at $4.50 SHIPPED per film I cant get any bites. Selling them for any less will just be a waste of time and effort since it will barely cover the post office costs.

I always thought there would be a solid used market for the reds but Im not so sure now. I was all gung-ho on having two formats even after red died...I swore Id keep my HD DVDs and two HD DVD players for as long as possible. Lately Ive been wondering why I didnt just get out sooner when the writing was "on the wall" so to speak.

We'll see, Im at the point now where I might just donate my 10 or so films I have left on the format and my two players to a church or whatever. I dunno, I loved red sooo much.... but now my love is fading rapidly and its just irritating that I have to have an HD DVD player in my gear rack.

OK, rant over. Thanks for listening...
Old 12-07-2009, 11:35 AM

I agree with you to an extent. No new hardware is coming so whenever one needs a new player, the pool of available hardware will continually decrease. It's not an ideal situation and why I'm considering selling most of mine as a bundle with a player. Yea, I'll likely lose some money on said sale but I will at least be free of the dead weight.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:13 PM

Well, I think the problem is that remaining pool of folks with HD DVD players pretty much have every movie they want, at least for the US Universal/Warner/Paramount releases. Frankly, selling them even for $4.50 shipped is a waste of time & effort for me - why give them away for a buck or two? Hardware isn't an issue for me - I have two LG BH200 combo players, one in the HT room & one in the den, because I like the players so much for Region B blu-rays and PAL region free DVDs. But I honestly haven't played an HD DVD since last spring - too much new stuff on blu-ray competing for my time. Although that will change soon - gotta watch my HD DVD copy of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation to start getting into the holiday spirit.

I thought I was down to around 20 HD DVDs, but I just moved them all plus a bunch of DVDs to a bookshelf in the den to make room for more blu-rays in my HT room media case, and I still have 35 HD DVDs. Sell them for 60-70 bucks? No thanks.

Last edited by Cochise; 12-07-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:31 PM

Have you tried selling them overseas?

I for one would pay up to $20 (used) or $30 (new), depending on the movie.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:36 PM

^Blinx, anything look good to you from this list: http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/1715/p1040211z.jpg (I'm giving away What Dreams May Come and Notting Hill as gifts so those are the only ones off-limits in the photo).
Old 12-07-2009, 01:10 PM

I think this is a sentiment that gets stronger the fewer titles you have. If I only had a dozen or so, I could see myself getting rid of them just for the convenience of having one player. Personally, I have more than 70 titles and a bunch of those are things I watch over and over again, so I can't relate. Harry Potter, Bourne, Matrix, Planet Earth, etc. all get frequent viewings in my house.

And yeah, they aren't worth anything money wise because everyone who has committed to HD DVD has bought what they want in bargain bins. If you decide you don't want it anymore, my advice would be to pack everything up in a box, seal it in plastic and stick in the back of a closet. In ten years, take a look at eBay and see what it's worth. Better than throwing/giving it away.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:40 PM

I have a lot of titles - and 3 machines. I really do not care what any of this is selling for - because my titles and players are not for sale. I expect the value of HD-DVD is in your use of it - not what you can sell them for.
I just gave a HD-DVD XBox360 add-on drive & a bunch of titles (duplicates I had laying around that I got for free) to my daughter & family. They are thrilled to be able to experiment with high definition movies via their XBox for the first time. Who knows - they might end up interested in a blu-ray player as a result. Think I can get a commission if they do?? bbbluhhhhdvd
Old 12-07-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Ive tried to sell a few decent titles and even at $4.50 SHIPPED per film I cant get any bites. Selling them for any less will just be a waste of time and effort since it will barely cover the post office costs.

I always thought there would be a solid used market for the reds but Im not so sure now. I was all gung-ho on having two formats even after red died...I swore Id keep my HD DVDs and two HD DVD players for as long as possible. Lately Ive been wondering why I didnt just get out sooner when the writing was "on the wall" so to speak.

We'll see, Im at the point now where I might just donate my 10 or so films I have left on the format and my two players to a church or whatever. I dunno, I loved red sooo much.... but now my love is fading rapidly and its just irritating that I have to have an HD DVD player in my gear rack.

OK, rant over. Thanks for listening...
Want to donate your A30 to me?
Old 12-07-2009, 02:38 PM

I think it just depends on the titles. Many are worth next to nothing, but I have also sold several titles for $5-$10 just in the past month or two. I sold Smallville Season 5 for $27.50 last week!

The trend I see is that movies that are still exclusive to HD DVD will fetch over $5 each. Movies out on Blu-ray won't bring but $2.50-$3.00. So it just depends on what you have...

Some may have value just as rebate fodder. I kept all my Paramount titles, and many of the ended up with a $10 rebate on Blu. Used the HD DVD for the rebate, and then sold it minus UPC for $2-$3 + shipping. So I ended up being able to "upgrade" to Blu for a $1 or $2 (since I was getting the blu's for $15-$16 to start with).

I'm still holding on to many Universal titles because I don't know if they will do rebates or not. I should probably dump them, since they have never shown any signs of doing rebates. I'm sure if I sell them, they will do a free red2blu program or something, and there I'll be...
Old 12-07-2009, 02:53 PM

The only person I saw do well on selling their items put them at a $3 price point, but required people to buy $10 or more of items. And even then, he had quite a bit left over, and didn't really sell out until he dropped the limit. That's just what has happened with all those sellers that have them on ebay for $3 shipped, or inetvideo, with also $2-3 discs.

It's really hard, because I have duplicate movies, or movies I will never watch again that I want to move, but in Canada, it's $2.25 to ship a single movie, and there's no multi-product shipping discount like media mail in the US. Even for trades, it's not really worth it, since I'm pretty close to 200 movies, with another 30 that I've watched and sold in the past and have no interest in. I may try that route again, but don't expect any success there... (and that's for receiving HD DVDs... I can't imagine trying to trade for blu-rays with HD DVD discs...)