'Rio Bravo' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-06-2007, 12:10 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'Rio Bravo' - High-Def Digest Review

Just posted Peter's review of the classic western, 'Rio Bravo.' He says Warner has put together a fine retrospective HD DVD release for this John Wayne/Howard Hawks favorite, with an impressive transfer and excellent supplementary material. This restoration may not be quite up to the caliber of 'The Searchers,' but it is certainly a more-than-respectable effort befitting a legend of Wayne's stature.

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/riobravo.html
Old 06-06-2007, 12:35 AM

Ive been looking forward to this review. I just bought the HD DVD version Unforgiven from Amazon andhave been looking for a few more westerns formy collection. Ill deff pick up bravo and The Searchers at some point in the next month.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:21 AM

I got a chance to revisit this film for the first time since college this evening. I've been catching up on The Sopranos, and the movie was featured prominently in season 4 (Tony watches it on TV at one point; "My Rifle, Pony and Me" serves as the end credit music of another episode).

Anyway, as for Rio Bravo itself... it's not my favorite John Wayne western (that would probably be The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, with The Searchers coming in as a close second), but it's up there.

The film is a nice example of the Hollywood western, and Dean Martin really steals the show as far as I'm concerned. It's not an Oscar-worthy performance by any means, but I certainly found myself smiling whenever Dude was on the screen. Good stuff -- I was happy to double-dip on this disc.