National Lampoon's Animal House - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-16-2009, 04:40 PM

Default National Lampoon's Animal House

HD-DVD Combo - review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/121/n...imalhouse.html

We just watched this HD-DVD combo title for the first time in High Def. It played perfectly (A30 with firmware 4.0).
As the reviewer remarks, there is not a big PQ upgrade from a properly upconverted DVD to the high def version, but it is noticeable, and I'll take it.
The movie? Well, this is a classic and I found it every bit as funny now as it was 30 years ago. It was one of those "career opportunity" films for a number of the folks associated with the project - for good reason.
It will be interesting to see if this ever makes it to blu-ray and what improvements are offered. Can the PQ be improved further? The HD-DVD side is a HD15 and has only the movie, so if more space is the issue to improve PQ, Universal could have done more on the HD-DVD and chose not to bother. Will the blu-ray tout a lossless audio codec? Probably, but I cannot imagine anyone would think that matters for this 30 year old comedy. It surely would be nice to have all the extras available with the high def movie and maybe even in high def (all extras are on the DVD side of this combo) - but again Universal probably could have done that with the HD-DVD and could not be bothered. As with so many other older titles, the condition of the available master and how much remastering can bring to the table PQ wise may be the biggest issue. In the meantime - in high def: toga party? road trip? food fight? bbbluhhhhdvd
Old 08-16-2009, 06:05 PM

I remember reading in the review "However, note that John Landis has been reported as saying he initially felt that Universal's remaster on the previous "Double Secret Probation Edition" may have been too good, so he ordered the studio to not make it look so shiny and perfect. Whatever the truth may be, this is probably the best the film is going to look for the foreseeable future." So, I doubt if they'll make the blu-ray "shiny and perfect" if/when it ever makes it to blu-ray. I like Animal House alot and watch it at lease once a year, but I passed on the HD DVD when I read the review as I have Double Secret Probation Edition DVD. But now that you reminded me, I might pick it out as it can probably be had for $5 or less.