Apollo 13 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-04-2009, 02:40 AM

Default Apollo 13

One of HD DVD's first releases, this one was reviewed before the practice of including an associated thread in the forum (you can read it here) was adopted.

Having just watched it, it looks decent enough considering its age and of course the space scenes were a sight to behold.

I have a question about the audio...did anyone notice clipping and/or popping emanating from their speakers when playing this title? I thought I heard distortion during some of the explosive scenes (liftoff) and louder musical passages. I also heard repeatable popping in a few places. I let the BH200 decode and set it to PCM. I just wonder if there was a mastering or authoring error here or if I got a disc from a faulty batch.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:14 AM

I noticed no such thing on my A2 when I first purchased the disc. I had lesser speakers at the time though, I see if I can't give it a fresh viewing with an ear for any sort of defects as you describe. I suspect the popping is most certainly not on the disc, I have to think that would have been noted in the review. Distortion.... Who knows, maybe something subtle some might notice? One would expect a professional reviewer to pick it up, but who knows. I'll see if I can't confirm any of what you posted.

Visually the movie is spectacular... Holds up extrodenarly well as both a cataloge title and an early HDM release. Audio wise I was pleased at the time, but I guess we'll see
Old 08-04-2009, 01:55 PM

Well, I followed it with a viewing of The Hurricane...no such detectable audio defects. The pops were definitely repeatable (I wish I had taken note of a timestamp...one place is at the very end where they are providing final bio information for the astronauts and NASA personnel involved). The clipping made it sound like my speakers were shot but it was present even at low volumes.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
Well, I followed it with a viewing of The Hurricane...no such detectable audio defects. The pops were definitely repeatable (I wish I had taken note of a timestamp...one place is at the very end where they are providing final bio information for the astronauts and NASA personnel involved). The clipping made it sound like my speakers were shot but it was present even at low volumes.
Yeah I guess my question is whether or not it's possibly something with how the BH200 is handling the audio... Remember the review wouldh have been done with a Toshiba HD DVD player, which happens to be how I view my HD DVDs as well. I guess that was the main question in my mind.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:30 PM

Yes, I will check it again on my BD-UP5000 connected directly to a TV.

I don't have a Toshiba SAL to verify unfortunately.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:18 PM

2:12:34 and 2:12:58 running times have repeatable clicks/pops in the dialog...just confirmed it on the Samsung using PCM and bitstreaming to the TV.

Disc could also be defective.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:44 PM

I'll check that with my toshi as soon as I am able. Not sure when that will be though.