Ultimate Matrix Collection or Complete Matrix Collection. - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Purchase Ultimate Matrix or Complete Matrix
Ultimate Matrix Collection 13 48.15%
Complete Matrix Collection 14 51.85%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2007, 11:24 PM

Default Ultimate Matrix Collection or Complete Matrix Collection.

I was going to but wither the Ultimate Matrix or the Complete Matrix on Amazon today, and was wondering what are th edifferences between the two. Is one better than the other? Which one do you guys recomend?
Old 06-03-2007, 11:36 PM

I went for the Complete Matrix Collection due to no COMBOS on that one and they all come with discs cover art (same from DVD but who cares). Second to that I got it from the CC price mistake for just $19.99. Kudos to CC for that.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:41 PM

Way more extras (double sided discs for Ultimate) 2 more discs with even more extras plus the Animatrix (which is Stand Def).

I love these movies (except for the last one.. ugh, do love the attack on Zion tho!) and just care about the movies, so I went for complete. I'm almost "Matrixed" out from the massive hype fest when the 2 sequels came out, so I'm pretty happy with just having the movies since I don't really care to watch the makings of anymore. And the Complete has just enough extra's if I get a hankering for 'em.

just IMO, go for the complete, unless you really want to know pretty much everything you can know about the series.

If the Ultimate Matrix had featured Animatrix in HD DVD, I probably would've gotten that purely for the Final Flight of the Osiris.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:45 PM

i went with the Ultimate Matrix Collection sines best buy did a miss print in the best buy news paper ad $89.99 for the Complete Matrix Collection $79.99 for the Ultimate Matrix Collection but in stores it was the other way around so i price matched and got Ultimate Matrix Collection for $79.99
Old 06-04-2007, 09:40 PM

If you have the 360 add-on, by all means, get the Ultimate. No problems with the combo discs, lots of extras. If you have any Toshiba player, go complete, since every Ultimate set I have exchanged for Reloaded doesn't work. I get error "40864203", many say it's because of the copy protection and the fact that it's a combo disc.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:01 PM

If your not much of an extras person then go complete. Otherwise for $10 bucks more you get the animatrix (which was excellent IMO) plus all the behind the scenes stuff.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:14 PM

If you don't have Animatrix already, it's worth the extra price. If you have it already, it depends on whether you want to have those tons of extras on standard definition in the same package so much that the small price difference is justified.

As a word of warning - there are indeed some potential problems with the Combo discs on the Ultimate package. There are some threads about it in avsforum also. I finally receive my Ultimate box yesterday and I have some failures loading Matrix Reloaded with my HD-XF2 standalone. It loads OK about 50 % of the time and at other times I'm getting an error code. I saw the error on my first trial so I kept trying several times. One time I played back the entire movie with fastforwarding and no problems occurred in that test, so I hope the problem is only related to loading. The other discs in my package seem to work fine.

Overall this is not perfect but I'm not going to return it as long as the movies can be viewed in full without troubles during playback. Hopefully a future player firmware update will remove that loading problem too.

I was glad to find out that none of the standard DVD sides in the package are region coded even though the package for the 4th disc says it's region 1 in the back cover. All DVD sides work in my HD-XF2 though it is region 2 player for standard DVDs.

Watched The Matrix yesterday and it sure looked and sounded good

In hindsight it might have been better to get the Complete instead of the Ultimate because of the Combo issue but it's too late for me now. I already had Animatrix DVD as well.