'Battle of the Bulge' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-15-2007, 12:50 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'Battle of the Bulge' - High-Def Digest review

Peter's review of 'Battle of the Bulge' is up. He says most modern audiences will probably find this one a tough slog, but as an HD DVD release, this Warner remaster delivers in spades with a top-notch transfter, a solid soundtrack and even a brand new audio commentary.

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/battleofthebulge.html
Old 05-20-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed View Post
Peter's review of 'Battle of the Bulge' is up. He says most modern audiences will probably find this one a tough slog, but as an HD DVD release, this Warner remaster delivers in spades with a top-notch transfter, a solid soundtrack and even a brand new audio commentary.

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/battleofthebulge.html
Good review, and just in time. I was going to buy this, assuming this would be a great classic of WWII films, and Warner does such a terrific job of restoring older classic films. They did do a wonderful job of restoration and encoding for high def, but boy did they pick the wrong movie to restore to high def. This is one movie you don't want the details brought to high def.

Any battle scene looks completely fake. The seasonal and geographic inconsistencies are appalling. One scene they're in a thick forest in winter (I guess, as there's some piles of white stuff that's supposed to look like snow), the next it looks like outside my window here in southern Arizona on a 100+ degree day. One scene a train in bringing in artillery, the soldiers wearing heavy coats - poor guys, because then you see some railroad workers on the side of the tracks wearing denim shirts and cowboys hats, wiping the sweat from their face with a bandanna.

Nice transfer, but I'm glad I didn't waste anything more than a spot in my Netflix Q and a few hours of my weekend on it.

Last edited by Cochise; 05-20-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:06 PM

I actually love the film

I remember watching it fondly when I was younger, and I still like it.

Cant wait to pick up this nice remastered version
Old 05-20-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandofBrothers View Post
I actually love the film

I remember watching it fondly when I was younger, and I still like it.

Cant wait to pick up this nice remastered version
I remember it fondly when I was younger, too. My Dad liked it. But somehow the detail & "goofs" weren't so noticeable on my parent's snowy B&W 19" TV with rabbit ears.