Universal Issues Statement on Playback Issues; Initiates Disc Replacement Program - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-01-2007, 03:37 PM
HDD Founder

Default Universal Issues Statement on Playback Issues; Initiates Disc Replacement Program

We just received this statement from Universal regarding playback issues with 'Children of Men,' 'Good Shepard' and other recently released HD DVD discs:

"Universal is currently investigating reports that Children of Men, The Good Shepherd, and select other discs not playing properly in some HD DVD players. While we believe this is limited to a small number of HD DVD discs, Universal is offering a replacement service for any customers who are experiencing this problem. We are still investigating the cause and will provide further updates as we get them. Any customer problems should be directed to [email protected]."

More info here:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/603
Old 05-01-2007, 04:10 PM

Good news. Kudos to Universal and Toshiba at aiming to fix this issue.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:17 PM

nice, and is the replacement thing from Universal ?? what i mean is that i have replaces CoM 5 times from Best Buy so i cant replace anymore, do i send CoM to Universal or does Universal now allow stores to exhange the movies (more then 5( i have lots of trouble with Uni combos
Old 05-01-2007, 05:09 PM

I believe you'll be sending it to Universal.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkiller View Post
nice, and is the replacement thing from Universal ?? what i mean is that i have replaces CoM 5 times from Best Buy so i cant replace anymore, do i send CoM to Universal or does Universal now allow stores to exhange the movies (more then 5( i have lots of trouble with Uni combos
Yeah, send it to Uni. You might also want to wait for the 360 firmware upgrade since it is always possible it might fix the problem (even if it is a production problem - it seems the 360 was more susceptible to it than the A1, for example).
Old 05-01-2007, 05:45 PM

I'm waiting for the 360 firmware update, then I'm going through all my discs to see for any issues. For what they don't consider to be widespread, I'm expecting to send every Universal combo except Miami Vice back to them.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:46 PM

Universal has always been good at resolving problematic disc. I had my Jurassic Park dvd that had an .lfe defect and they traded it out for a fixed right away. Same with two of the three Back To The Future films. I applaud them.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:50 PM

The Toshiba Upgrade fixed my Discs . Both COM and TGS didnt register (Not a DVD)in the XA2, now play perfectly
Old 05-01-2007, 06:04 PM

Hi all... I own a Toshiba HD-A1, since US release.

Ive had loads of problems with Universal titles. They frequently stutter, the picture kinda slows down, then speeds up and then the sound is out of sync. Usually pressing pause then play will rectify it, however doing this 6 or 7 times in one film is annoying.

What problems are these new batch of titles doing? I have Children of Men, Good Shepherd etc... But ive had probs with End Of Days, Pitch Black, Fast and Furious 1,2 & 3... Smokin Aces was the most recent one ive purchased and tried to watch, however i just went round a friends house and watched it on a Xbox360 and no probs whatsoever...

Any help appriciated.
Thanks!
Old 05-01-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDJ UK View Post
Hi all... I own a Toshiba HD-A1, since US release.

Ive had loads of problems with Universal titles. They frequently stutter, the picture kinda slows down, then speeds up and then the sound is out of sync. Usually pressing pause then play will rectify it, however doing this 6 or 7 times in one film is annoying.

What problems are these new batch of titles doing? I have Children of Men, Good Shepherd etc... But ive had probs with End Of Days, Pitch Black, Fast and Furious 1,2 & 3... Smokin Aces was the most recent one ive purchased and tried to watch, however i just went round a friends house and watched it on a Xbox360 and no probs whatsoever...

Any help appriciated.
Thanks!
Actually, reports of problems on the A1 have been pretty rare. I have one and it literally plays most everything flawlessly. Btw, do you have all the latest firmware updates? Now up to 2.2.