'King Kong' -- High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-14-2006, 01:46 AM
PeterB

Thumbs up 'King Kong' -- High-Def Digest review

Just got through with 'King Kong'

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/kingkong2005.html

Unfortunately, while the video is fantastic and the soundtrack terrific too, there is no Dolby TrueHD option and the extras are quite lacking. I just expected more from this one. Certainly, 'Kong' delivers on the bottom line. But I was hoping for a real format-booster with this one, that really lays down the gauntlet in terms of the whole package...

Last edited by jed; 11-14-2006 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:32 AM

I personally thought that this King Kong was a classic, one of the few movies in recent memory which I went to see a few times - and each time brought tears to my eyes during the closing scenes.

Though in my opinion it is a masterpiece, I do realize that many did not enjoy this movie as much as I, perhaps because of the extended duration. I am happy that it was as long as it was, but for many a somewhat cut down version would probably have carried almost as much story with even more impact.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:58 AM

I also was surprised at how much I enjoyed Kong as a movie. The HD-DVD is a realy winner in picture and audio if you ask me. I'm sure the lack of features is due to a bigger release coming in 2007 for the Extended Cut.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
Though in my opinion it is a masterpiece, I do realize that many did not enjoy this movie as much as I, perhaps because of the extended duration. I am happy that it was as long as it was, but for many a somewhat cut down version would probably have carried almost as much story with even more impact.
Here's my take (the rest will be later today):

The end result is a film that should, if it is not already, be labeled a masterpiece. The film is surprisingly involving, and has enough to bring audiences in that would never think of ever seeing the film. The film had heart, comedy, suspense, action, an amazing score, good acting, and phenomenal directing. Upon seeing the very first teaser trailer for Peter Jacksonís remake of the 1933 classic King Kong, I knew I was in for an immediate treat come release time. Mr. Jackson didnít let me down one bit as, even though it didnít receive a Best Picture Oscar nomination (which in comparison to those nominated it didnít deserve it), King Kong is still one of the best filmís of 2005.

This aside, I do agree with Peter on his overall comment that Universal should have included a lot more though. Hell, I wouldn't mind paying a premium price of, I don't know, $59.99 if the Extended Edition DVD was transfered over to HD DVD. I don't feel many others would mind as well. This just personally SCREAMS double-dip. I'm sure the SAME exact thing will occur whenever Lucas releases SW on Blu-Ray.

Last edited by MrChaos; 11-14-2006 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

I, for one, really enjoyed the movie. I'm glad to see that it got a full rating for video as that was one of my main concerns. It is a shame regarding the TrueHD option, however if I was being cynical then I am sure they are saving that for a future release.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:28 AM

I've got to agree with the reviewer. King Kong is a marvelous story, but this is my least favorite telling of it. The story is just completely overwhelmed by one long drawn out action scene after another. The pacing is just completely miserable. With about a half hour of being chased by bad cgi dinosaurs and frolicking with crawlies edited out, this one might have been the equal of the seventies Guillermin/DeLaurentis flick. It can only equal the 1933 movie in technical merits....but they've had seventy years to figure out how to make a giant ape look like a giant ape!
Old 11-14-2006, 08:56 AM

Man, Universal dropped the ball on this release. I know, I know...a possible double-dip with the extended cut sometime in the future. But come on...they only had a year to put together something worthwhile and they couldn't even do that.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:13 AM

It was entertaining the first time I watched it. I hated that it took so long to get the plot going. The whole first hour could be compressed into 20 minutes.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post
It was entertaining the first time I watched it. I hated that it took so long to get the plot going. The whole first hour could be compressed into 20 minutes.
Now that I do agree with. I was hoping the Directors Cut meant that the film would be trimmed and not extended!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post
I usually start the film about an hour in...as the ship arrives at Kong Island. King Kong looks amazing in this film but the other creatures look like what they are... CGI. However that does not detract from my enjoyment.