Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Attebery is offline Member

Default 'Freedom: 6' - High-Def Digest Review

Kenneth's review of 'Freedom: 6' is up. He says the series has fallen apart. This HD DVD features another gorgeous video transfer and a powerful audio track, but the supplemental package is pretty weak. For fans only.

Full review here:
    http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/383/freedomvol6.html

BullRay is offline Member

A DVD player will automatically access the DVD-5 layer of the disc, while an HD DVD player will access the HD-15 layer.
    this being very useful for people who can not afford a HDDVD-player right now because of these 40$-discs with 30 minutes on them. in the future when the players are cheaper the full benefit of the new HD-format may be enjoyed fully!

formatting sarcasms aside, I know anime tend to be on the step side usually anyways, but this?

bruceames is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BullRay View Post
    this being very useful for people who can not afford a HDDVD-player right now because of these 40$-discs with 30 minutes on them. in the future when the players are cheaper the full benefit of the new HD-format may be enjoyed fully!

formatting sarcasms aside, I know anime tend to be on the step side usually anyways, but this?
    Um, what's your point?

Wee finally a new HD DVD review

Btw. isn't this the first twin layered disc?

kannisto is offline Imports enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunOfTheDead View Post

There are lots of Twin Discs in Japan, e.g. all the Virtual Trip and Railway Story discs which is about 20+ in total, and of course the previous 5 Freedom volumes also.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
    Um, what's your point?
    didn't knew I needed one really, but these are the points. (as they are that)

40$ for 1 measly 1 disc with 30min on is a bit much. and this is 1 of 6 so make that 240

a big part of this i due to the pointless dual standard that one either do not need or do not want. (especially by now)

the only use with this soon will be that the DVD-part of it may (may) play in Bluray players..

and this in turn leads to:

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunOfTheDead View Post

of course all the other episodes where reviewed to be fair, but even if so this too only felt a bit like fodder for the HDDVD list.

no, take a look at the other 5 reviews. (and that in itself was a point too..) it feels like this thing and year old imports are last ditch thing is just cropping up to show HDDVD is not as dead as it is.

illegalprelude is offline Founding Member

im just wondering, why is Bandai still releasing HD DVDs? Considering it was the first territory (Japan) to get destroyed by Blu-ray...whats the continues point?
    "PeAcE is but a shadow of death, desperate to forget its painful past"
    PowerMac G5 + MacBook Air+ Custom Gaming PC + PSPgo +500GB PlayStation 3 (Linux) + Xbox 360 Elite + Harmony 1000 + TiVo Series 3+ XM + Panamax 5100 + Sony 60" SXRD + Denon 2807 + Onkyo 6.1 Surround + AppleTV+ iPhone 3GS
    PSN: Fusion_Id
    It dreams in Blu-ray

didn't knew I needed one really, but these are the points. (as they are that)

40$ for 1 measly 1 disc with 30min on is a bit much. and this is 1 of 6 so make that 240

a big part of this i due to the pointless dual standard that one either do not need or do not want. (especially by now)

the only use with this soon will be that the DVD-part of it may (may) play in Bluray players..

and this in turn leads to:

of course all the other episodes where reviewed to be fair, but even if so this too only felt a bit like fodder for the HDDVD list.

no, take a look at the other 5 reviews. (and that in itself was a point too..) it feels like this thing and year old imports are last ditch thing is just cropping up to show HDDVD is not as dead as it is.
    If you are not here for HD DVD, then you are in the wrong forum. Read the rules, NO Format Bashing allowed in this forum.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/anno...nt.php?f=9&a=5

Well my copy of Freedom 6 came in the mail today from dot-anime (the only place that sells it, I think). So six down, one to go.

Ken Brown is offline Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
    im just wondering, why is Bandai still releasing HD DVDs? Considering it was the first territory (Japan) to get destroyed by Blu-ray...whats the continues point?
    When I contacted our rep at Bandai, he said the studio didn't want to abandon fans who had purchased previous HD DVD volumes.

Pretty decent of them if you ask me. Most studios would've cut and run.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
    When I contacted our rep at Bandai, he said the studio didn't want to abandon fans who had purchased previous HD DVD volumes.

I think they made a wise choice, considering that it's a series and that they're probably not losing (much) money on it given what they're charging.

Quote Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
    These are released by Bandai Visual U.S. division anyway, they are only sold in Japan as "U.S. imports" by BV's own online shop.

The point is to complete the series for those who have been buying the earlier episodes and want to have the whole set in HD, I think. It would be kind of annoying for those customers who bought the early episodes at high prices and want a complete set if the series was cut off before completion. In Japanese culture I think that would not be considered to be very acceptable in terms of customer service.

I'm wondering why it bothers some people enough to be posting here about it although they are not obviously very interested in buying these...

Quote Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
    If you are not here for HD DVD, then you are in the wrong forum.

Read the rules, NO Format Bashing allowed in this forum.
    but I am here for that ( I mean, not bashing) since this regards a disc of that format, I was just pointing out the stupidity in these forced dual format discs. they could very well be one of the more prominent reeasons for the demise of the part of them, so it should merit some scrutiny even for those still feeling bitter about .

and please do note my ill considered name before shouting basher, chosen a day or two before the death of .. I just think it is better to look to the future than hindering it in this "anything but !" that many seemingly under mindcontrol by Toshiba "naw, we never really saw disc as the way to go anyways.." has switched to even more now when the format is dead. there are really a frightful mass of them still trying to confuse the lesser informed without media "helping" with it.

Quote Originally Posted by kannisto View Post

I'm wondering why it bothers some people enough to be posting here about it although they are not obviously very interested in buying these...
    maybe mostly because we are, but on a future safe (at least reasonable so) format. I'm already stuck with a lot of anime on really big discs without a working carousel to ride on without adding another one to the livingroom themepark.

even so, I still find it odd to review every episode of a series. if one likes the first one, one sees the next. (or not) what next, review all the discs in the Lost box separate?

EDIT: oh, and yes. the studio deserves very well some praise for completing it in spite of all. (I actually started feeling a bit ambivalent to the positive tint for the review for that alone now)
    Last edited by BullRay; 06-21-2008 at 09:48 AM.

maybe mostly because we are, but on a future safe (at least reasonable so) format. I'm already stuck with a lot of anime on really big discs without a working carousel to ride on without adding another one to the livingroom themepark.

even so, I still find it odd to review every episode of a series. if one likes the first one, one sees the next. (or not) what next, review all the discs in the Lost box separate?

EDIT: oh, and yes. the studio deserves very well some praise for completing it in spite of all. (I actually started feeling a bit ambivalent to the positive tint for the review for that alone now)
    Bandai Visual has been almost Blu-ray + DVD exclusive for a long time already so I guess they may likely release this series at some point in BD as well. Wouldn't expect the price to be cheap though, all their releases are pretty expensive as you probably know already. The DVD only versions of this set have been released in Japan at only 20% lower MRSP for each disc compared to the HD DVD + DVD Twin Discs (which were Bandai Visual U.S. releases, but also had an MRSP price for Japan).

I just feel annoyed when some people complain about BV completing the series in HD DVD format, that's just a decent thing for them to do for all the people who bought the earlier episodes in this format. That's the point of view I was commenting from.

allargon is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post

No kidding. Those that bought Harry Potter box sets can pretty much abandon all that hope Warner will put out a special printing for the next 3 movies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast