Non-playing disc + hot water = disc fixed - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Running hot tap water fixed my hybrid HD-DVD disc!
Yes, I can't believe this actually worked! 3 42.86%
No, it's still broken! 2 28.57%
Made the disc better, but I still have issues with it 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2007, 04:28 PM

Default Non-playing disc + hot water = disc fixed

OK, show of hands, how many people have fixed their disfunctional hybrid HD-DVD disc with a 30 secs to one minute wash in hot tap water followed by a thorough drying, being careful not to leave any water in the center ring?

Michael Goldshteyn

Last edited by mgoldshteyn; 04-09-2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:21 PM

worked for me, but i have to do it each time before it totaly works
Old 04-09-2007, 06:42 PM

I havent had any issues with any discs so far, though if I did, I probably would be scared to put the disc in water since I'm so anal about taking care of all my movies/music.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:30 PM

Gotta agree on your whole post. My wife thinks I'm silly sometimes the way I treat our hardware and software.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:31 PM

I used exactly that method to get my Children of Men disc working. 30 sec. got me 99% problem free. An additional 60 sec. wash cleared up remaining problems with the opening scene for the last 1%
Old 04-10-2007, 04:39 AM

In my case, Children of Men was working to some extent originally. I could see the whole movie and extras in parts though I had a couple of freezes on the way. Disc loaded OK about 70 % of the time and failed around 30 %.

To see if problems could be helped, I played around with Twin Disc setting option as suggested in some threads and tried the hot water trick, but now the disc is not loading at all anymore (DVD side still works OK).

It seems that experimenting with Twin Disc option may have had some kind of an impact as the behavior in disc loading changed after that (before the water trick). Too bad it changed for the worse, I started getting "This disc is not a DVD" type of message all the time. Previously when loading failed I got an error code starting with 4 instead of any text based error message. No loading seems to fail much faster too, previously player was trying to load for a bit longer time.

Anyway, I'll be looking for a better copy of the disc as the film is so excellent. I'm thinking of importing the European release in May from UK, which is expected to be a non-Combo.