Problems with Universals HD DVDs. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-08-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Problems with Universals HD DVDs.

I have an XBOX ad on HDDVD drive.
Rented "The Good Shepherd" and it wouldn't load--unable to watch in HDDVD (I know I could flip the disc over and watch the standard dvd).
I wasn't sure if it was the movie or the drive so I put "Children of Men" in and that movie wouldn't load either (I just watched it last week and it was fine).
I then put in "World Trade Center" (Paramount) and no problems.
It seems that there are problems with Universals discs. I've seen scattered reports of problems. I wonder if Universal is aware/doing anything about remedying the situation.
I'm also curious if the combo-disc format has anything to do with it? Is there a fix that Microsoft can send out?
Anyone else having problems or have a suggestion?
Old 04-08-2007, 12:21 AM

Hopefully the Spring Update for the 360 will fix playback errors for Universal discs.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:20 AM

My CoM works fine in my 360, but only played once (and without sound) through my XA-2. Hopefully something can be done through firmware updates to fix it. I suspect this phenomenon only occurs with Universal combo discs.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:48 PM

Exclamation

I did post this in the Children of Men problem thread, but think this thread might also be a good place. I have encountered similar problems on another Universal combo disc on my Xbox 360 - Miami Vice!

It plays up to chapter 18, then starts to freeze the frame and the player sounds like it's searching for a chapter. I'm then unable to regain control and must either shut of the system or press eject. I tried taking out the disc and starting it directly to chapter 19, but it wouldn't even go there. I shut down the system with the disc in, and restarted. It started chapter 19, but then froze almost instantly.

To make sure the player or the hardware in the 360 hadn't gone bonkers on me, I inserted Batman Begins directly without rebooting and it worked like a charm. I could jump to any chapter I wanted and fast forward back and forth.

I don't know if this is a problem that has caused the last batch of pressed Universal combo titles, Children of Men, The Good Shepherd and Miami Vice (an older title, but perhaps my disc was pressed recently)

I have no problems playing other combos such as The Departed.

Has anyone else encountered this problem on Miami Vice with an Xbox 360?
Old 04-08-2007, 07:54 PM

Had no problems with Miami Vice. I just received it a couple a weeks ago.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:47 PM

All mine work and where do you rent your HD DVDs from.
My movie gallery and Blockbuster doesnt carry them
I live in Augusta GA
Old 04-09-2007, 05:58 PM

I posted also in Children of Men thread:

I tried to view two unviersal hd-dvds from Netflix : Children of Men and Good Shephard. Children of Men would load but only playback stuttering and Good Shephard wouldnt even load.

While trying to troubleshoot, Children of Men froze on screen and froze my xbox. When I restarted my xbox, i got the dreaded 3 red lights. Got it working again temporarily but while playing the standard def side of Good Shephard, it froze again. Now i'm stuck with the 3 red lights and a broken xbox. It's probably coincidental but once my xbox is repaired, i think i'll stay away from universal titles for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulderscully View Post
I have an XBOX ad on HDDVD drive.
Rented "The Good Shepherd" and it wouldn't load--unable to watch in HDDVD (I know I could flip the disc over and watch the standard dvd).
I wasn't sure if it was the movie or the drive so I put "Children of Men" in and that movie wouldn't load either (I just watched it last week and it was fine).
I then put in "World Trade Center" (Paramount) and no problems.
It seems that there are problems with Universals discs. I've seen scattered reports of problems. I wonder if Universal is aware/doing anything about remedying the situation.
I'm also curious if the combo-disc format has anything to do with it? Is there a fix that Microsoft can send out?
Anyone else having problems or have a suggestion?
Old 04-09-2007, 06:06 PM

I played Children of Men last week and it played perfectly. Tried to play it yesterday first time round it could't see the disc. Took out the power plug and restarted and it saw the disc but I had problems all through watching the extras . I had to unplug and re-start twice after the machine just locked up with the error code. Only disc so far that has given me any problems.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:12 PM

I have an Xbox 360 w/ HD DVD add on and I played Miami Vice and Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift on it,(Both of which are combo) and they played fine. I don't know about Children of Men or Good Shepheard because my Blockbuster didn't carry the HD versions of these, and I had to rent the SD version of it since I had no intention of owning these films.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohn29 View Post
I have an Xbox 360 w/ HD DVD add on and I played Miami Vice and Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift on it,(Both of which are combo) and they played fine.
Was it long since you bought/played Miami Vice on the Xbox 360? I bought mine about 1 month ago at the most, and that was about the same time people started to have problems with Children of Men.... I'm just speculating, but I'm wondering if Universal started to manifacture combo discs in some new way recently. Frustrating to say the least...