Stopped by Circuit City Today! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-02-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Stopped by Circuit City Today!

Their flier has the A2 at $399 and 4 free movies. I don't know if I should get one of these or wait until the A2x is around $499. I have a 1080p display and really want to get the best out of it.

So I want to pose this question should I sell one of my 360's get an Elite for 1080p then go and buy the A2 for my theater upstairs? And yes I have tried using the 360's VGA for 1080p and I am not happy with it because my sony only allows limited settings under VGA. Gamma comes in way to low for me and the colors are not near as vibrant running the 360 thru component.

Another way to go is the A20 but I have read it does not support deep color. Is this a must with these players? Does it make that much of a difference?

Either way it is going to be hard to get my wife to understand the need for the new player. I have spent quite a bit on electronics here lately.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:25 PM

iv seen a 1080i and 1080p hd dvd player playing side by side playing and the p
Old 04-02-2007, 05:25 PM

First of all, I think you answered your own question right in the first paragraph:

Quote:
I have a 1080p display and really want to get the best out of it.
If I was in your situation and had a 1080p display, which I don't, I have a 720p I would go with the XA2, not only would you get the full benefit out of your television but you get the wonderful upconverting capabilities out of the XA2 as well the different audio options that come with it as well (5.1 analogs or HDMI 1.3). The XA2 is just too good to pass up at the price it is coming in at. This would be no-brainer for me if I had the television for it.

I'm with ya on the wife part, but if you can explain to her why you must own TWO 360s, I'm sure you can talk her into almost anything
Old 04-02-2007, 05:27 PM

iv seen a 1080i and 1080p hd dvd player playing side by side playing and the pq isnt a huge difference i think its a good price and iv thought about buying into blu-ray with a stand alone but they are too much $$ right now...399 is cheap and i can see another price drop right before thanksgiving or a new cheap player..id buy
Old 04-02-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwright View Post
iv seen a 1080i and 1080p hd dvd player playing side by side playing and the p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwright View Post
iv seen a 1080i and 1080p hd dvd player playing side by side playing and the pq isnt a huge difference i think its a good price and iv thought about buying into blu-ray with a stand alone but they are too much $$ right now...399 is cheap and i can see another price drop right before thanksgiving or a new cheap player..id buy
What's with the piecemeal response?????
Old 04-02-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
First of all, I think you answered your own question right in the first paragraph:

If I was in your situation and had a 1080p display, which I don't, I have a 720p I would go with the XA2, not only would you get the full benefit out of your television but you get the wonderful upconverting capabilities out of the XA2 as well the different audio options that come with it as well (5.1 analogs or HDMI 1.3). The XA2 is just too good to pass up at the price it is coming in at. This would be no-brainer for me if I had the television for it.

I'm with ya on the wife part, but if you can explain to her why you must own TWO 360s, I'm sure you can talk her into almost anything
I think I might end up biting the bullet and getting the A2 for upstairs and wait on both the elite and the XA2. I read some posts from Amir just now in AVS and he said that the Spring Update is going to allow the Xbox to change Video Levels over VGA. If this will allow me to adjust the color and the gamma it could be a winner. It may not be as good as the XA2 but I really want to see how it looks before I make a decision. I am sure that it will not have the deep color but it might pacify my addiction for a few months. Also by that time prices may have lowered even lower on the XA2 to closer to my price range.

I would also like to add if the XA2 was available at CC with the 4 HD DVD's I would pick it up today but sadly it is not. I don't know why these are not available at any of the BM stores near me.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty HD View Post
I think I might end up biting the bullet and getting the A2 for upstairs and wait on both the elite and the XA2. I read some posts from Amir just now in AVS and he said that the Spring Update is going to allow the Xbox to change Video Levels over VGA. If this will allow me to adjust the color and the gamma it could be a winner. It may not be as good as the XA2 but I really want to see how it looks before I make a decision. I am sure that it will not have the deep color but it might pacify my addiction for a few months. Also by that time prices may have lowered even lower on the XA2 to closer to my price range.

I would also like to add if the XA2 was available at CC with the 4 HD DVD's I would pick it up today but sadly it is not. I don't know why these are not available at any of the BM stores near me.
If they can get the update out soon (did he say when?), that would probably be a good move, I'm sure prices are going to get ridiculous soon.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
If they can get the update out soon (did he say when?), that would probably be a good move, I'm sure prices are going to get ridiculous soon.
I've heard several rumors. Some say this week. Some say the first week in June. Amir stated that he thinks it will be weeks and not months on the 31st and hoped that no one for Xbox saw his post.

So it is kinda sketchy.

Here is the link go to the next page for update:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10176889
Old 04-02-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty HD View Post

I am not happy with it because my sony only allows limited settings under VGA. Gamma comes in way to low for me and the colors are not near as vibrant running the 360 thru component.
My display also only allows limited picture settings through VGA which kind of made me mad. I have it set to the best possible settings until I can splurge and get a new TV. Anyone else had this problem through VGA?
Old 04-02-2007, 05:59 PM

I picked mine up yesterday. I got Children of Men, Happy Gilmore, Posiedon and Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Now I will send off for my 5 free movies!!!

The best part is the hd a whole section of HD-DVD movies. It was way bigger than there Blu-ray section.