Stopped by Circuit City Today! - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Monty HD's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,796
Default Stopped by Circuit City Today!

Their flier has the A2 at $399 and 4 free movies. I don't know if I should get one of these or wait until the A2x is around $499. I have a 1080p display and really want to get the best out of it.

So I want to pose this question should I sell one of my 360's get an Elite for 1080p then go and buy the A2 for my theater upstairs? And yes I have tried using the 360's VGA for 1080p and I am not happy with it because my sony only allows limited settings under VGA. Gamma comes in way to low for me and the colors are not near as vibrant running the 360 thru component.

Another way to go is the A20 but I have read it does not support deep color. Is this a must with these players? Does it make that much of a difference?

Either way it is going to be hard to get my wife to understand the need for the new player. I have spent quite a bit on electronics here lately.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Mwright's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 219
Default

iv seen a 1080i and 1080p hd dvd player playing side by side playing and the p
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Bee's Avatar
Bee Bee is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,303
Default

First of all, I think you answered your own question right in the first paragraph:

Quote:
I have a 1080p display and really want to get the best out of it.
If I was in your situation and had a 1080p display, which I don't, I have a 720p I would go with the XA2, not only would you get the full benefit out of your television but you get the wonderful upconverting capabilities out of the XA2 as well the different audio options that come with it as well (5.1 analogs or HDMI 1.3). The XA2 is just too good to pass up at the price it is coming in at. This would be no-brainer for me if I had the television for it.

I'm with ya on the wife part, but if you can explain to her why you must own TWO 360s, I'm sure you can talk her into almost anything
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Mwright's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 219
Default

iv seen a 1080i and 1080p hd dvd player playing side by side playing and the pq isnt a huge difference i think its a good price and iv thought about buying into blu-ray with a stand alone but they are too much $$ right now...399 is cheap and i can see another price drop right before thanksgiving or a new cheap player..id buy
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Bee's Avatar
Bee Bee is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwright View Post
iv seen a 1080i and 1080p hd dvd player playing side by side playing and the p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwright View Post
iv seen a 1080i and 1080p hd dvd player playing side by side playing and the pq isnt a huge difference i think its a good price and iv thought about buying into blu-ray with a stand alone but they are too much $$ right now...399 is cheap and i can see another price drop right before thanksgiving or a new cheap player..id buy
What's with the piecemeal response?????
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Monty HD's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
First of all, I think you answered your own question right in the first paragraph:



If I was in your situation and had a 1080p display, which I don't, I have a 720p I would go with the XA2, not only would you get the full benefit out of your television but you get the wonderful upconverting capabilities out of the XA2 as well the different audio options that come with it as well (5.1 analogs or HDMI 1.3). The XA2 is just too good to pass up at the price it is coming in at. This would be no-brainer for me if I had the television for it.

I'm with ya on the wife part, but if you can explain to her why you must own TWO 360s, I'm sure you can talk her into almost anything
I think I might end up biting the bullet and getting the A2 for upstairs and wait on both the elite and the XA2. I read some posts from Amir just now in AVS and he said that the Spring Update is going to allow the Xbox to change Video Levels over VGA. If this will allow me to adjust the color and the gamma it could be a winner. It may not be as good as the XA2 but I really want to see how it looks before I make a decision. I am sure that it will not have the deep color but it might pacify my addiction for a few months. Also by that time prices may have lowered even lower on the XA2 to closer to my price range.

I would also like to add if the XA2 was available at CC with the 4 HD DVD's I would pick it up today but sadly it is not. I don't know why these are not available at any of the BM stores near me.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Bee's Avatar
Bee Bee is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty HD View Post
I think I might end up biting the bullet and getting the A2 for upstairs and wait on both the elite and the XA2. I read some posts from Amir just now in AVS and he said that the Spring Update is going to allow the Xbox to change Video Levels over VGA. If this will allow me to adjust the color and the gamma it could be a winner. It may not be as good as the XA2 but I really want to see how it looks before I make a decision. I am sure that it will not have the deep color but it might pacify my addiction for a few months. Also by that time prices may have lowered even lower on the XA2 to closer to my price range.

I would also like to add if the XA2 was available at CC with the 4 HD DVD's I would pick it up today but sadly it is not. I don't know why these are not available at any of the BM stores near me.
If they can get the update out soon (did he say when?), that would probably be a good move, I'm sure prices are going to get ridiculous soon.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Monty HD's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
If they can get the update out soon (did he say when?), that would probably be a good move, I'm sure prices are going to get ridiculous soon.
I've heard several rumors. Some say this week. Some say the first week in June. Amir stated that he thinks it will be weeks and not months on the 31st and hoped that no one for Xbox saw his post.

So it is kinda sketchy.

Here is the link go to the next page for update:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10176889
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty HD View Post

I am not happy with it because my sony only allows limited settings under VGA. Gamma comes in way to low for me and the colors are not near as vibrant running the 360 thru component.
My display also only allows limited picture settings through VGA which kind of made me mad. I have it set to the best possible settings until I can splurge and get a new TV. Anyone else had this problem through VGA?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 117
Default

I picked mine up yesterday. I got Children of Men, Happy Gilmore, Posiedon and Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Now I will send off for my 5 free movies!!!

The best part is the hd a whole section of HD-DVD movies. It was way bigger than there Blu-ray section.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Short Circuit / Short Circuit 2' is coming February 14 Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 0 11-14-2011 02:29 PM
I Went to Circuit City Today..... nyc20012001 High Definition Smackdown 19 05-08-2008 10:41 PM
PS3 owners have stopped buying Bluray, proof and numbers VC-1 High Definition Smackdown 198 06-13-2007 05:29 PM
Microsoft could have stopped the Blu-ray/HD DVD war Master X High Definition Smackdown 40 06-08-2007 04:56 AM
Circuit City's Weekly Ad Today chad5871 High Definition Smackdown 49 03-19-2007 12:58 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off