Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Attebery is offline Member

Default 'I Am Legend' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter's review of 'I Am Legend' has been posted. He was sort of disappointed with the film, but says this HD DVD is "reference quality" with five star (!!) video and audio tracks and an alternate version. Unlike the Blu-ray, this one is lacking almost all of the original supplements. Even if you're not a big fan of the movie, 'I Am Legend' is well worth giving a rent, if only to see how great an HD DVD can look and sound.

Full review here:
    http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1337/iamlegend.html

meremortal is offline Member

Didn't realize the HD DVD was lacking extras found on the BR. I'll definitely not be picking this one up now.

I'm not TOO big on extras really, so I just bought the HD DVD version of it one week ago. It was $10 less than the blu ray steelbook at Future Shop and it was a combo disc, so OF COURSE I'll pick up the HD DVD version instead.
    How am I not myself?

Live everyday like it's the best day of your life.

pobff is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
    Didn't realize the HD DVD was lacking extras found on the BR. I'll definitely not be picking this one up now.
    Not exactly true. I just got my disc today. Blu-ray version's bonuses are in SD anyways. The same bonuses can be accessed from the DVD side of the HD DVD version through PC web-link. The plus' and minuses are: with blu-ray, you can watch it all on the disc where has with HD DVD, although you still get the same content but through different channel which is more annoying. BUT the biggest plus for this combo vs. bluray is that you get to watch the DVD side on non-high definition players (lending it to friends who do not have high definition).
    Setup: Sharp 52D64U, Polk Audio RM6880, Yahama RX-V663, Samsung BD-UP5000/LG BH200, HD-A2, HD-A35, Wii x 2, 80GB PS3, Ideal-Lume Panelight

mosul210 is offline Member

I agree, the HD DVD version looks and sounds fantastic.

I went with the HD DVD version because I was afraid the BD copy may not play on my BD player.

I would have to recommend it for anyone who enjoyed the movie at the cinema.
    Currently Playing: Destiny, Last of Us Remastered

krylonman is offline Member

AAAAAAARGH. I want to get this and I'm totally stuck on which format. Do I really care about some none-too-great featurettes? Does it matter if the animated comics are SD or HD? Do I really care about having a DVD side that much? Dammit.

(And how lame is it that you can get a DVD version with a Digital Copy, but not the Blu-ray? That would have been the decider for me.)

John32 is offline Member

I gotta say, and I'm in the minority on this one I guess: but even though I've fully embraced Blu ray, and I "know" the transfer is the same I was disappointed in this transfer on blu ray. I don't know if the HD DVD would, somehow, seem better but, I thought the blu ray wasn't too sharp in times and noticed a lot of "motion blur" with this blu ray moreso than any other blu ray I have in the dark scenes. Even AvP:R didn't have this issue whatsoever. Do I have a messed up setting or something that would cause so much blur in this (legend) blu ray? Comments? Thanks
    player is 40 gig PS3. It's never blown up.
    I still when I'm nostalgic for 2006.

theefman is offline Member

I thought the film was disappointing (not terrible but disappointing) so regardless of the transfer I am passing on this.
    HD DVD's - 100 - aiming for 100 - achieved!

HD DVD rocks!

Scooby is offline Member

I can appreciate that you guys are reusing much of the Blu Ray version of the review, but...

The Dolby TrueHD track is certainly the way to go, as it's pretty fantastic and sure to become a choice demo disc for Blu-ray enthusiasts.
    Hmmm.

Cochise is offline Special Member

I'm wondering if I got screwed on my copy, because the specs in the review says "HD-30 Dual-Layer Disc/HD-15 Single-Layer Disc", and mine only has 1 disc in the case.

But, I'm more concerned that they get enough page hits on the review, so they don't decide to cancel reviews of the remaining Warner HD DVD releases for lack of interest.

pobff is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    I thought the film was disappointing (not terrible but disappointing) so regardless of the transfer I am passing on this.
    I wasn't planning on picking it up until I saw the clip with the alternate ending. It's all about the alternate ending.
    Setup: Sharp 52D64U, Polk Audio RM6880, Yahama RX-V663, Samsung BD-UP5000/LG BH200, HD-A2, HD-A35, Wii x 2, 80GB PS3, Ideal-Lume Panelight

pobff is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
    I'm wondering if I got screwed on my copy, because the specs in the review says "HD-30 Dual-Layer Disc/HD-15 Single-Layer Disc", and mine only has 1 disc in the case.

But, I'm more concerned that they get enough page hits on the review, so they don't decide to cancel reviews of the remaining Warner HD DVD releases for lack of interest.
    I was waiting for the review for the longest time as well. I really wanted to make sure both features were on the HD side unlike American Gangster.

JAC35 is offline Member

Got mine on HD DVD only because I dont currently have a Blu-ray player. Excited to watch it. The extras IMO were not that impressive really and like someone pointed out the SD DVD version has them if I really really want to check them out. I'm going to miss HD DVD combos.
    Blu-ray Player w/ Harmony Adapter
    Toshiba HD-A32.5
    + Win7 Home Premium HTPC
    Panasonic Plasma TC-P54G10
    Panasonic SA-BX500 Receiver
    SVS 5.1 inc. SVS PB12-NSD Sub

Neutral101 is offline Member

I'm not TOO big on extras really, so I just bought the HD DVD version of it one week ago. It was $10 less than the blu ray steelbook at Future Shop and it was a combo disc, so OF COURSE I'll pick up the HD DVD version instead.
    Wow you're first HD-DVD person who admits that extras aren't too important. I remember when the "war" was still raging, all of the HD people were all for extras and interactive stuff, while the Blu people said extras aren't that important.
    My system:
    Projector - 1080p Runco Video Xtreme VX-2000d
    Screen - 120 inch Carada
    Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray player
    Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player
    Onkyo TX-NR905 receiver
    Martin Logan Clarity Speakers

film11 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by John32 View Post
    I gotta say, and I'm in the minority on this one I guess: but even though I've fully embraced Blu ray, and I "know" the transfer is the same I was disappointed in this transfer on blu ray. I don't know if the HD DVD would, somehow, seem better but, I thought the blu ray wasn't too sharp in times and noticed a lot of "motion blur" with this blu ray moreso than any other blu ray I have in the dark scenes. Even AvP:R didn't have this issue whatsoever. Do I have a messed up setting or something that would cause so much blur in this (legend) blu ray? Comments? Thanks
    In a brief comparison of both (using 2 Sony XBR sets), I noticed a bit of the motion blur (looking at the deer stampede) on both formats. However, I found the HD-DVD to be sharper. Something I (and others) have often noticed when doing past comparisons. So I never buy into the "same encode = same PQ" line. It's just not always the case when different technologies are used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast