'The Moody Blues: Lovely to See You - Live at the Greek' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-20-2008, 01:02 AM

Default 'The Moody Blues: Lovely to See You - Live at the Greek' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter's review of 'The Moody Blues: Lovely to See You - Live at the Greek' has been posted. He was surprised by this "beautiful and sometimes quite energetic evening." As for this HD DVD, he loved the video, kinda liked the audio, and was completely disappointed with the extras. Fans should pick this up. For others, it's a rental.

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1152/...ytoseeyou.html
Old 03-20-2008, 01:38 AM

My dad loves the Moody Blues, so I will probably get this for his birthday in a couple months =)
Old 03-26-2008, 12:26 PM

Default Any chance this will be available in BR?

Now that HD is oficially dead (shields up), does anyone have any info or speculation that this great DVD will be produced in BluRay?

EDIT: I found out on the Image Entertainment website that this will be out on BluRay on July 8/08.

Last edited by sjv; 03-29-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
My dad loves the Moody Blues, so I will probably get this for his birthday in a couple months =)
He'll love it. We just saw them in concert @ Beau Rivage, Biloxi, MS on Sunday, 3/23/08. The 3 remaining "originals" are all in their 60's (so are we)......but they've still got it!
Old 03-26-2008, 12:50 PM

Wow, seems like he docked the overall grade a full star for lack of extras (that most don't watch anyway), that's kinda harsh I think. I don't think the extras should be given that much weight in my opinion. I have to pick this up as I like some of their music (Tuesday Afternoon, for example) and not being out on Blu-ray is always a selling point.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Wow, seems like he docked the overall grade a full star for lack of extras (that most don't watch anyway), that's kinda harsh I think. I don't think the extras should be given that much weight in my opinion. I have to pick this up as I like some of their music (Tuesday Afternoon, for example) and not being out on Blu-ray is always a selling point.
Image Entertainment website says this will be released on BluRay on July 8, 2008.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:15 PM

I got this and the Yes HD DVD a while back. THe Moody disk Blues blows the Yes video away in every way.

They have aged pretty well.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws17 View Post
I got this and the Yes HD DVD a while back. THe Moody disk Blues blows the Yes video away in every way.

They have aged pretty well.
I'm glad to hear this - as my wife and I have been Moody Blues fans for many many years. We've got all their music (including solo and duo efforts by members when they were broken up) on cd, and have seen them in concert a number of times over the years. I will watch for a good price for this hd-ddvd and snag it.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I'm glad to hear this - as my wife and I have been Moody Blues fans for many many years. We've got all their music (including solo and duo efforts by members when they were broken up) on cd, and have seen them in concert a number of times over the years. I will watch for a good price for this hd-ddvd and snag it.
Wow - I said this over 2 years ago - and actually did snag the hd-dvd of this concert somewhere along the way. It has been sitting shrink-wrapped on the shelf all this time, and we finally got around to playing it tonight.
My wife and I love this band and thoroughly enjoyed the HD-DVD. The music is every bit as good as we remember and the PQ and AQ on the HD-DVD are excellent. I only noticed one small glitch, where the bitstreamed audio cuts out for a very brief second during applause between tracks about half way through. I am guessing this is the layer change?
If you are Moody Blues fans, do not hesitate to pick this up in your favorite high definition format. This concert has only a small sampling of the extensive and excellent music recorded by this group over the years. Many tunes on their early albums are favorites of ours, even though they did not become top 40 hits. This is very much an "album oriented" band, imo, particularly in the early years, where the music grabs you and flows and causes you to listen to the entire album/cd in the recorded sequence.

Last edited by Rich86; 05-31-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:27 PM

I watched some of this a while back and was not impressed. The lead vocals sound too much different from the recordings and so it sounded like old people singing Moody Blues songs to me. I don't mind that social security recipients get out and play stuff they made famous 40 years ago, but as long as the vocals sound ballpark to what they used to. I mean, I have to recognize something to make that association, and it sure hell isn't those old farts on the stage.