'UFO: Showtime' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-13-2008, 12:12 PM

Default 'UFO: Showtime' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter's review of 'UFO: Showtime' has been posted. He found the concert visually lackluster, but says the group sounds quite tight musically. This HD DVD has very good video and audio, plenty of extras, and an exclusive picture-in-picture track. This one is for the fans.

Full Review Here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/ufo_showtime.html
Old 03-13-2008, 01:40 PM

*sigh*

So sad that this is what has come of HD DVD...
Old 03-13-2008, 01:49 PM

Also sad one would dismiss a group like Pink Floyd, Genesis and other "Concept"artist who tried to add depth to their music. I guess we're better today with the 3 minute throw away songs that permeate the music industry
Old 03-13-2008, 03:20 PM

Man, I was expecting I Robot, or Into The Wild, or even Ice Age!!
But then I see this? Wow.
haha..I know you guys are swamped with releases so take your time
Old 03-13-2008, 05:19 PM

Yeah, thank god for this review! I was totally expecting some shit like "Into the Wild" to be reviewed. I'm thrilled to see that HDD only reviews the quality discs that people care about.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
Also sad one would dismiss a group like Pink Floyd, Genesis and other "Concept"artist who tried to add depth to their music. I guess we're better today with the 3 minute throw away songs that permeate the music industry
Truth.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:06 AM

Thankyou for the revue, I shall probably avoid and pick up on DVD

As a musician I thought I would add a bit about UFO

UFO have been a highly influential band throghout the 70s. The reason being one individual.. Michael Schenker , a guitarist that wrote and performed with UFO in the middle 70s.
Like his brother Rudolph (Scorpions) he was native German but turned to offers from overseas most notably the Rolling Stones and settled on UFO... the songwriting talents of Mogg et all really gelled with Schenker, and gave showcase for his pioneering melodic guitar work.
Far from being a footnote in rock history Schenkers work along with other pioneers like Uli Jon Roth, Randy Rhoads and Edward Van Halen influenced players well into the 1980s and beyond.
One player who cited his influences (in 1985) was Vinnie Moore, a young Guitarist signed to shrapnel records his instrumental neo classical debut album was just released !

thankyou for the opinions on the video and sound aspects of this release.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:23 PM

I ordered the HD DVD. Don't see what the problem is.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:13 AM

I plan on getting this as well.

It's been in my Amazon 'High Priority' wish list since it has been available for pre-order.

UFO is a great band. Much more than a 'footnote' in the history of hard rock.
Kirk Hammet, Scott Ian, Sebastian Bach, Dimebag Darrel & many other metal musicians have cited UFO as major influence. Eddie Trunk recently said Phil Mogg was one of his top 3 vocalists of all time.

The 'Bottom Line' says 'For Fans Only' & I certainly fall into that category. Like most fans though, I would much rather see some vintage footage of the band in their prime.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django R View Post
Thankyou for the revue, I shall probably avoid and pick up on DVD

As a musician I thought I would add a bit about UFO

UFO have been a highly influential band throghout the 70s. The reason being one individual.. Michael Schenker , a guitarist that wrote and performed with UFO in the middle 70s.
Like his brother Rudolph (Scorpions) he was native German but turned to offers from overseas most notably the Rolling Stones and settled on UFO... the songwriting talents of Mogg et all really gelled with Schenker, and gave showcase for his pioneering melodic guitar work.
Far from being a footnote in rock history Schenkers work along with other pioneers like Uli Jon Roth, Randy Rhoads and Edward Van Halen influenced players well into the 1980s and beyond.
One player who cited his influences (in 1985) was Vinnie Moore, a young Guitarist signed to shrapnel records his instrumental neo classical debut album was just released !

thankyou for the opinions on the video and sound aspects of this release.
Nice info wikipedia man