Harry Potter just announced for November in Europe - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-02-2006, 11:31 AM

Default Harry Potter just announced for November in Europe

Why is Warner Brothers announcing this in Europe for November, and has not yet announced it in the USA ? All of the other titles they are announcing for the European release are the same as he US counterparts.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63193
Old 11-02-2006, 01:31 PM

I think Harry Potter is much bigger in Engalnd than in the US.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentokTheMindTaker View Post
I think Harry Potter is much bigger in Engalnd than in the US.
Yeah, but he is pretty damn big in the US as well.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:25 PM

No doubt, HP is pretty popular here as well. My wife and kids want all of the HP movies on HD DVD ASAP!
Old 11-02-2006, 05:46 PM

It ain't popular enough with me to pay 24.99 for
Old 11-02-2006, 05:49 PM

movies were lame...but I do believe their much bigger in Europe. Having said that, how is Europe doing with Blue-ray and HD-DVD units? same market as here the states?
Old 11-02-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg View Post
No doubt, HP is pretty popular here as well. My wife and kids want all of the HP movies on HD DVD ASAP!
Yup, my wife is in it in a big way, and my kid is almost old enough to enjoy Harry Potter (he is currently loving Polar Express in HD - despite only being 2 years and 8 months).
Old 11-02-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
Having said that, how is Europe doing with Blue-ray and HD-DVD units? same market as here the states?
From what I read from European posters, HD-DVD is having a bit more credibility - but I think it is still too early to call. I just ordered the "Elephant Man" (and almost ordered "Total Recall") in HD-DVD from Amazon France. Studio Canal+ is a big supplier in Europe and so far they are looking like they are leaning toward HD-DVD. This is great since they distribute some movies in Europe that are Blu-Ray only in the US (such as Terminator 2).
Old 11-02-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
From what I read from European posters, HD-DVD is having a bit more credibility - but I think it is still too early to call. I just ordered the "Elephant Man" (and almost ordered "Total Recall") in HD-DVD from Amazon France. Studio Canal+ is a big supplier in Europe and so far they are looking like they are leaning toward HD-DVD. This is great since they distribute some movies in Europe that are Blu-Ray only in the US (such as Terminator 2).
I'd like to order some of the imports as well but I read that the French releases of American films will have nonremovable French subtitles on them. I want no part of that. These movies will come out on HD DVD in other parts of Europe soon. The UK versions in particular are sure to have optional subs. I'll grab them as soon as they're available.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg View Post
I'd like to order some of the imports as well but I read that the French releases of American films will have nonremovable French subtitles on them. I want no part of that. These movies will come out on HD DVD in other parts of Europe soon. The UK versions in particular are sure to have optional subs. I'll grab them as soon as they're available.
Hmm, thanks for the heads up on that, I will have to look into it. It seems silly to make them non-removable since the format makes it easy for them to be optional. Plus a lot of these movies have dubbed versions (I used to live in France, and they do a good job wih dubbing), so why force the subtitles if there is a French soundtrack ?