American Gangster Playback Issues - Disc Replacement Program Confirmed - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-03-2008, 01:42 PM

Default American Gangster Playback Issues - Disc Replacement Program Confirmed

I hate to bring this up but...

I have now had TWO American Gangster HD DVD discs that will not play in my XA2. While I have not read any reports myself, I thought I would post this anyway.

First I thought it was an issue with my new firmware XA2 v.2.8.

But, when I finally gave up and called Universal Home Entertainment, they called me back and seemed to confirm that they have in fact started a disc replacement program!

They said they will send me the SASE and issue a new disc once received.

Here again is the contact information in case any of you are having this issue. Maybe it's isolated to my region or area.

Universal Studios Home Entertainment 1-800-882-5779
Email: [email protected]

The error code I get on my player from the disc....4086 4203
Old 03-03-2008, 02:12 PM

That sucks. My copy played perfectly in my XA2 with 2.8 firmware update.

Did you try to initialize your player?

I'm always doing that now each time I'm updating the firmware.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:28 PM

That sucks. No issues on my A3 with latest FW (can't remember exactly what the latest is, but I always have it).
Old 03-03-2008, 03:00 PM

Anyone know if there´s been any problems of this kind with Shaun of the dead? I´m having problems playing the end of the movie in my A30.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffles View Post
Anyone know if there´s been any problems of this kind with Shaun of the dead? I´m having problems playing the end of the movie in my A30.
I didn't have any problems with Shaun on my A3.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:09 PM

Hopefully it goes better than this replacement program Universal put out:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=7014
Old 03-03-2008, 03:18 PM

First time I put it into my 360 HD Drive all it would do is show the menu, no selections, no nothing. Couldnt even press stop for black screen. Then I rebooted the power and it worked second time around.
Unfortunate not many others here were able to fix their prob as quick.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffles View Post
Mine kept skipping at 1:30:38, I sent it in for a replacement disc and it worked flawlessly.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoela View Post
But, when I finally gave up and called Universal Home Entertainment, they called me back and seemed to confirm that they have in fact started a disc replacement program!
The replacement program isn't specific to this movie. They instituted it when they had a lot of complaints about playback problems with Children of Men and The Good Shepherd. All they will do is send you another copy of the same disc. They never actually re-authored anything. My replacement copies of the above two titles were just as glitchy as the originals, until a firmware update for the player made them readable.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The replacement program isn't specific to this movie. They instituted it when they had a lot of complaints about playback problems with Children of Men and The Good Shepherd. All they will do is send you another copy of the same disc. They never actually re-authored anything. My replacement copies of the above two titles were just as glitchy as the originals, until a firmware update for the player made them readable.
The use of the word program in my text was meant to be specifically for American Gangster. On the phone, the representative confirmed that yes in fact it was one title with issues that warranted replacement discs being mailed out.

I for one had a problem with Children of Men and Good Shepard. Both of the replacement discs worked flawlessly for me without any update at the time.

By speaking with the rep at the customer service office, this does in fact seem to be encode related and not a firmware issue. IMO.