Mahler - Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection" Impressions - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-27-2008, 12:20 PM

Red face Mahler - Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection" Impressions

I got this in from Amazon yesterday and watched about an hour before I fell asleep (not from boredom, from exhaustion, that will teach me to start a movie at one in the morning)

Packaging

It comes in a normal HD-DVD case with a 12 page booklet. It has a foreword on Pierre Boulez written by Wolfgang Stahlr in English, German and French.

Video

The back of the box says that this is a "1080i High Definition 16:9 1:78:1"

Honestly, I wasn't expecting much from this title but I was pleasantly surprised when I started watching it. It looks very good. I don't have a 1080p set but I imagine that this would be somewhere in upper Tier 2.

There's a problem though. Every time the camera would focus on Pierre Boulez, video stutter would happening. As in, it looked like the video slowed down and than sped back up very quickly to catch up or that it was missing frames.

Thankfully, it doesn't effect the music/audio but it's still very annoying when you are trying to watch.

Audio

The back of the box says that this contains "Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital Plus" and Dutch, English, French and Spanish subtitles.

I don't have a 5.1 set up or anything that can decode 5.1 but it sounded fantastic on my headphones and I'd imagine that it would be even better on a 5.1 system.

Extras

This release doesn't have any real extras but it does have a few trailers that all seem to be 480i/p 16:9

Lucerne Festival Orchestra - Jubilee Box
Mahler: Symphony No.9
125 Years Berliner Philharmoniker
Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny
Barenboim I Beethoven Piano Concertos
Discovering Masterpieces : Bartok

Overall Thoughts

Even with the video stutter problem, I don't regret picking this up at all. It looks fantastic, sounds beautiful and contains a magnificent, heartfelt performance from Pierre Boulez.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:40 PM

yeah mine should get in from amazon this friday....will check it out to see if same vid issue...but glad the sound is good
Old 07-09-2009, 07:46 AM

Are either of you willing to sell your copy for $15 or less shipped? Please PM if so. Thanks.