Toshiba: "Consumers did not chose Blu-Ray over HD-DVD, the industry did" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-20-2008, 12:51 PM

Default Toshiba: "Consumers did not chose Blu-Ray over HD-DVD, the industry did"

"It was not the consumers that chose Blu-ray over HD DVD it was the industry", comments VanWynendaele before saying that given the chance they wouldn't do anything different. "We firmly believe that we did it the right way."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/xml/arti...-12913,00.html

GREAT TO HEAR THIS FINALLY FROM THEM.

THEY SHOULD OF BROUGHT THIS UP RIGHT AFTER CES BUT STAYED QUIET.

WHAT SONY DID WAS WRONG AND ILLEGAL TO FORCE THE CONSUMER TO BUY BLU-RAY.

SO FUNNY HOW BLU-RAY KEPT SAYING, "The Consumer has chosen" "The Consumer told us, BLu-Ray is better" LOL

Toshiba announced Tuesday morning that it is calling time on HD DVD in the format war against Sony's Blu-ray, but why? Pocket-lint sat down with Olivier VanWynendaele - deputy general manager, HD DVD to find out more.

"To be very honest we have been reviewing the options since the Warner announcements, we are disappointed by their decision, but in that brief time, the industry has become unfavourable and our position was unsustainable", starts VanWYnendaele before moving on to suggesting the Wal-Mart decision on go Blu-ray only Friday as yet another "event that led us to this decision".

The HD DVD format, which lasted 3 years, might have been seen as the better of the two formats in many commentators' eyes but fell due to a lack of backing from the industry.

"It was not the consumers that chose Blu-ray over HD DVD it was the industry", comments VanWynendaele before saying that given the chance they wouldn't do anything different. "We firmly believe that we did it the right way."

Strange coming from a format that has just had the plug pulled on any future development.

As for those rumoured HD DVD player announcements, they never existed and of course never will.

"We never planned to announce any HD DVD players at CES 2008", VanWynendaele told Pocket-lint. "It would have been too early in the development cycle, but clearly following today's announcement, all development plans have been stopped."

Early adopters worried about warranties and firmware updates shouldn't be. Toshiba says that the players will be protected on the standard Toshiba warranty and that the company will continue to offer firmware updates when needed.

So what is the future of Toshiba and high definition?

According to VanWynendaele it is certainly not optical. Having told consumers that what they wanted was high-definition movies on disc, Toshiba has quickly changed its tune:

"Optical disks won't be the only way to enjoy HD movies in the future", VanWynendaele says before commenting that even though Sony's Blu-ray disc format was won the HD disc battle it won't be as "popular or as successful as DVD was over VHS".

"We are studying our strategy and looking to development. Things in this industry move fast. The world is changing, and that means consuming movies and content in lots of different ways rather than just on an optical format."

Toshiba instead is looking at storage options such as NAND storage and its miniature hard drive range found in Microsoft's Zune MP3 player to propel it forward rather than admitting complete defeat and start selling Blu-ray players.

"We have no plans to make Blu-ray players", said VanWynendaele.

As for how much the last 3 years has cost the company, VanWynendaele didn't have the figures but suggested reports on the Internet from Japanese broadcaster NHK suggest Toshiba would suffer losses running to tens of billions of yen (hundreds of millions of pounds) to scrap production of HD DVD players and recorders and other steps to withdraw from the business.

Last edited by tvfilm; 02-20-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:56 PM

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out!

With the SA unit sales being about equal and the number of titles available on each platform is about equal, it was way too early for the consumer to choose.

The choice has been made for us now let's see if we follow through and buy the stuff up like we are supposed to.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:57 PM

Thank you for typing in all caps, I never thought your message would sink in deep enough.

If you think it was illegal, sue them. I don't think; I buy.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:57 PM

That's absolutely true, but what are you going to do about it?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvfilm View Post

http://news.sky.com/skynews/xml/arti...-12913,00.html

GREAT TO HEAR THIS FINALLY FROM THEM.

THEY SHOULD OF BROUGHT THIS UP RIGHT AFTER CES BUT STAYED QUIET.

WHAT SONY DID WAS WRONG AND ILLEGAL TO FORCE THE CONSUMER TO BUY BLU-RAY.

SO FUNNY HOW BLU-RAY KEPT SAYING, "The Consumer has chosen" "The Consumer told us, BLu-Ray is better" LOL
"Repeat a lie often enough, It will become the Truth."
-Adolph Hitler
Old 02-20-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshiba
"Optical disks won't be the only way to enjoy HD movies in the future"
Quote:
"We are studying our strategy and looking to development. Things in this industry move fast. The world is changing, and that means consuming movies and content in lots of different ways rather than just on an optical format."
Quote:
"We have no plans to make Blu-ray players"
Going to be interesting to see what they have in the pipe.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
I think the appropriate phrase is: "more consumers have chosen to purchase Blu-ray products than HD DVD products".
And even more appropriate is: "more gamers have bought PS3's than home theater enthusiasts HD DVD stand alones".
Old 02-20-2008, 02:11 PM

and both are still under 1% of the disk sales market.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo11 View Post
And even more appropriate is: "more gamers have bought PS3's than home theater enthusiasts HD DVD stand alones".
I mean it's obvious the gamer chose the format Red Ant arguement "I can afford to buy into only one... Universal, Warner, Paramount have more releases that I would buy.... I like movies, I'm going to go where the titles I want to own are..."

Blu Majority Arguement: Bitrate... disc size.... IN YOUR FACE HD DUD!!!

there was plenty of back handers going on, on both sides.... BDA just sweetened the pot when HD DVD was closing the disc sale ratio with 3 for 2 offers... who can resist 'em? They're great!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil N View Post
That's absolutely true, but what are you going to do about it?
I dont think it is true at all. Sales for 2007 say it all. Not one hd dvd came in at #1 for any of the weeks total for 2007. PS3 had a big influence for this happening. Paramount switch to hd dvd did not help either. Toshiba had the better all around players and the better price. But Sony had the studio support. Media pushes out hardware sales...not the other way around,imho.