Why is anyone expecting any further HD DVD releases? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-16-2008, 10:18 PM

Default Why is anyone expecting any further HD DVD releases?

Just curious, some are still thinking Universal, Paramount and Dreamworks will still release HD DVD's currently scheduled for release in the coming months. If Toshiba announces they are halting HD DVD production on Monday why do you still expect these releases to see the light of day? Remember when Paramount switched to HD DVD? Instant cancellation of all br releases. What makes you think this will be any different for HD DVD?
Old 02-16-2008, 10:21 PM

Well, there were competitive reasons to pull the plug on the Paramount BDs. If the discs are pressed already I doubt they will just scrap them when there is no reason at all as far as why they won't still sell them.

Now, if they haven't been pressed or even authored then I can see them being cancelled.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:43 PM

right now.. there have been no official statements by any of the 3 companies... so as it is right now these movies are coming out in hd dvd
Old 02-16-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Well, there were competitive reasons to pull the plug on the Paramount BDs. If the discs are pressed already I doubt they will just scrap them when there is no reason at all as far as why they won't still sell them.

Now, if they haven't been pressed or even authored then I can see them being cancelled.
I think br versions Blades of Glory were already pressed and the discs were destroyed when Paramount went exclusive.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Formerly peterhefer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theefman View Post
I think br versions Blades of Glory were already pressed and the discs were destroyed when Paramount went exclusive.
I'd be surprised if paramount doesn't have a huge stockpile that they have just sitting in a storage facility somewhere or something.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theefman View Post
They were pressed, but pulled for competitive reasons and they might have been compensated for them (by Toshiba). In the current situation, unless they get compensated for it by the BD group I doubt they will scrap them all when a profit could be made on them.

I don't see why they would take a hit on their earnings over something like this.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:07 PM

Anything finished or near-finished will come out. If Toshiba announces a stop to production, you can almost guarantee the movies will not be coming out in the future months.

Also, I think that we'll see a quick switch to Blu-ray for the companies if they truly do see high definition as a continuing business.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:59 AM

Production of HD DVDs won't stop overnight, if (when) Toshiba announces that they are pulling its support behind the format, they'll probably continue to manufacture discs until this summer.

So all the announced titles will probably come out until the remaining HD DVD studios switch completely to Blu-ray.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury View Post
right now.. there have been no official statements by any of the 3 companies... so as it is right now these movies are coming out in hd dvd
+1 Agreed totally
Old 02-17-2008, 02:09 AM

declaring the other side the winner does not mean everything halts. There are over one million players sold and counting. The next thing will be a slow transition to Blu from the companies still on HD DVD which is like Warner and everybody else is doing.