Assuming Toshiba throws in the towel, what can we expect to see Universal do? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-16-2008, 06:03 PM

Default Assuming Toshiba throws in the towel, what can we expect to see Universal do?

Throughout this entire war, Universal has been the most vehemently pro-HD DVD of any studio. So much so that it makes you wonder exactly how deep their opposition to Sony and Blu-ray goes.

Is anybody else wondering if Universal will not only continue HD DVD support for sometime to come, but may also try to do whatever damage they can to Blu-ray adoption by dragging their feet with Blu-ray title releases?

I know it seems like a somewhat 'silly' question to ask in regard to a company whose sole purpose in existing is to make money, but as I said... Universal seems to have chosen 'moral highground' over revenue throughout this whole ordeal.

Thoughts?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:08 PM

I don't think they will hesitate in moving to Blu-ray--the format is not evil nor immoral. Perhaps I am not the best person to respond to this post because I think your thoughts on a business being less about money and more about some unseen moral seem a little skewed.

Universal does deal directly with Disney in many of their projects, so I don't think they'll take much time after the word is official of HD DVD's ceased production to make the move.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
Throughout this entire war, Universal has been the most vehemently pro-HD DVD of any studio. So much so that it makes you wonder exactly how deep their opposition to Sony and Blu-ray goes.

Is anybody else wondering if Universal will not only continue HD DVD support for sometime to come, but may also try to do whatever damage they can to Blu-ray adoption by dragging their feet with Blu-ray title releases?

I know it seems like a somewhat 'silly' question to ask in regard to a company whose sole purpose in existing is to make money, but as I said... Universal seems to have chosen 'moral highground' over revenue throughout this whole ordeal.

Thoughts?
They'd only be hurting themselves but not trying to make as much profit as possible.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:18 PM

I think they are going to hold off until the profile fiasco is put to bed.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleJ View Post
Perhaps I am not the best person to respond to this post because I think your thoughts on a business being less about money and more about some unseen moral seem a little skewed.
Apparently you're not because my post wasn't written with the intention of sharing my insights on a proper business model. I'm not incompetent, thanks.

I ask the question because Universal's stance this entire time appears to be one that has gone against a traditional business model. Repeatedly they've had reason to either go format neutral, and release titles on Blu and HD, or go Blu entirely. But they've been the only consistently HD DVD studio.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:27 PM

I would say they will remain HD DVD for a few more months, then either go back to DVD or become Blu (if they really hate sony they will go back to DVD)
Old 02-16-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Apparently you're not because my post wasn't written with the intention of sharing my insights on a proper business model.
Sorry. It was my immediate impression.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:

Thoughts?
They'll go blu. It's kinda silly to think they won't.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:25 PM

Well, if Toshiba truly gives up (which I don't think we should entirely assume until Toshiba says so, even if we should expect the worst), then Uni could go Blu, in fact they probably would. However, Toshiba may not throw in the towel, so far we have seen a series of copycat stories, but even the NYT stated that Toshiba was likely to hold on for a while, and Uni and Par's recent movements have shown continued support for HD DVD (though obviously things could change overnight).
Old 02-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Banned

In a way, Universal is in the worst position possible in comparison to any other company. Even if they switch to Blu-ray, they will be far behind every studio when it comes to Blu-ray releases. They will have to start from scratch and play catch-up.