How will the Recession affect j6p getting into HDM - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-30-2008, 10:44 AM

Default How will the Recession affect j6p getting into HDM

With the economy being bad I do not see people paying 375-500 dollars for a BLU RAY player. If The HD DVD group is smart they would get with Universal and Paramount and have them release some great Catlog titles and lower the Price of new releases from 19.99msrp at the max 24.99msrp for 2 discs set. Eventhough HD DVD only has two exclusive studios people would still buy with BLU Ray being double the price. I am purple so I enjoy both I have a decent paying job so the price of BLU RAY movies and hardware is no problem for me.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:06 AM

Dunno, but the House just passed a $146 Billion bill that will, if it passes the Senate, give every taxpayer $500-$1000.

Hooray for tax returns!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:13 AM

I've seen the word before, and judging from the context in which the word is used I'm assuming j6p means the general public. However, what exactly do the letters stand for?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:20 AM

If i couldn't afford to pay my mortgage or eat i wouldn't be buying any dvd's at all.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
If i couldn't afford to pay my mortgage or eat i wouldn't be buying any dvd's at all.
Bad example. I know plenty of people who can afford both + HD-DVD but not Blu-Ray.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron010 View Post
I've seen the word before, and judging from the context in which the word is used I'm assuming j6p means the general public. However, what exactly do the letters stand for?
J6P= Joe Six Pack = Your average consumer
Old 01-30-2008, 11:25 AM

Depends on how deep this rabbit whole really goes. If there's more smoke than fire, and things don't get much worse then it won't matter.
If the predictions come true, then not just HDM will be hurting. HDTV sales will drop of significantly.

Actually a poor economy will help HD, if people are concerned about the economy but still want to experiment with HDM then a $130 HD player will fill the bill. Might fill the bill anyway. It's not much to invest and is a fully capable machine. (1080p doesn't matter, since most of the HDTVs in circulation are 720p-1080i)
I do think a lower movie MSRP is a smart way to go, should have been from the get go. Studios should have faced movies (dvds) are not selling at their high retail price point anymore, the first week has a low introduction sale price, then the following weeks are $19-24, stays there for a few weeks, maybe months, then drops to $8.99 for holiday sale (sometime $14-10).
With a competitive Movie MRSP and low player prices a recession might make HD the stronger choice.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:43 PM

Well, I'm 23 and I can tell you that as long as I have a few extra bucks, I'll be spending it. Recession or not. If I got a job, I'm spending. It may be unwise, but people my age don't know what hard times are really like, as far as recession/depression.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:07 PM

I think the high prices of HD DVDs (and BD players and media), when compared to their SD counterparts, will affect mainstream adoption more than a possible recession -- although that certainly will not help matters.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookcase View Post
I think the high prices of HD DVDs (and BD players and media), when compared to their SD counterparts, will affect mainstream adoption more than a possible recession -- although that certainly will not help matters.
True. Out of all my non import HD DVD's, I average $18.xx per movie. I know if major electronics stores sold movies at those kind of prices I'd buy alot more movies. Whenever I go to BB or CC I always check out the HD section. I see a movie I would like, $29. "I think I'll pass." If they were in the $15-18 range, I'd do alot more random buys.