Question: Is Battlestar Gallactica worth getting on HD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-18-2008, 12:59 AM

Default Question: Is Battlestar Gallactica worth getting on HD?

I've never seen the show, but reading the story interested me. Is it worth getting?
Old 01-18-2008, 01:54 AM

The real TV Show from the 80's, or the vomit on skiffy? Don't get me wrong, I watch the version on skiffy, yet I'm addicted to science fiction. I'll watch anything. Doesn't mean I can't call it crap. I'd watch it first, go rent it and watch a few eps. If you like it, then HD DVD would be a go, cause it is a visually full show. The writing is what is wrong with it.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:58 AM

same for me i want to know if it's worth watching. Australia already has season 3 on DVD while the US is still waiting AFAIK.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:13 AM

i say it is well worth it...season 3 dvd comes out in march in the us...its listed on amazon now for preoreder...the show has lots of grain becuase they go for the gritty look...but its a great show and the hd dvd version is an upgrade but dont expect perfect...its filmed on a tv show budget!!! i expect som more hd dvd version release on season 2 and 3 soon when universal release its summer line up!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:39 AM

I've read some bad reviews of the disc pq so i wouldn't pay the premium price myself.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:52 AM

It's a good show. I'd rent it first, though.

I've got the first season on HD from Netflix. What's cool is that it also comes with the minisiries from 2004 in HD as well.

-cheez avenger
Old 01-18-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barricade View Post
I've never seen the show, but reading the story interested me. Is it worth getting?
Battlestar Galactica (Ronald D Moore version) is arguably one of the greatest television series ever conceived. To give you some idea of where I'm comming from I should say my other fave series are Lost, Buffy, Sopranos and Twin Peaks.
As far as the HD DVD of season one...its awesome!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:09 AM

I bought season one on HD DVD a couple of weeks ago and just got around to watching disk 1 last night. Great show! I was a fan of the original TV series, but where that one had teens for its target audience this one is definitely targeted towards adults (but not to the extent that Torchwood targets adults...if you've ever seen Torchwood you know what I mean). The HD DVD video quality is below what we've come to expect from our movies, but as one poster pointed out, this is a TV series produced on a TV budget (but it certainly appears to be high budget by TV standards). There is considerable grain, but many of the CGI scenes are a bit sharper and the sound is definitely an upgrade from standard DVD. If you are a fan of Scifi, then this show is a must buy. It earns its spot on my shelf right next to Star Trek Season One.
Craig
(This was my first time watching the new series...I missed it's premiere on TV and am now using the HD DVD's to "catch up" with the storyline).
Old 01-18-2008, 11:14 AM

I bought the HD set without watching the series. My uncle was a big fan so I figured what the hell. I recently started watching it and I love it so far. I can't believe I waited this long to watch it. Is it worth owning on HD? I don't know, the PQ is poor compared to other films so it's up to you. For the price of the HD you can pick up both seasons on SD. Something to think about.

BTW don't get me wrong I'm still glad I picked it up.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:20 PM

The 2003 version (onwards) to me is THE best scifi series EVER made for tv. So, to answer your question?

Is it worth buying - YES - make sure you buy it from the miniseries onwards and watch EVERY episode in order.

Is it worth buying in HD - a tricky question. I personally (if I were you) buy the standard def series if you have never seen it as it's a blind buy and you won't have wasted too much money should you find it's not to your taste!