What should I do? Keep buying Red movies? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-17-2008, 11:24 AM

Default What should I do? Keep buying Red movies?

Not sure if this should go in the Smackdown forum or not.

At any rate, I'm interested in hearing from Red supporters, like me, who are wondering what they should do going forward. For example, should we buy Paramount movies even if we don't necessarily like them. I'm not very interested in Beowolf, but I'd like to support Paramount. Will buying these movies mean anything to the studios or am I simply wasting my money?

Here's what I'd like to happen: the format war continues for the next year or two until combo players fall in price. The format war, in my opinion, needs to continue for at least another year. If it ends sooner than that, electronics manufacturers like Samsung and LG will probably drop their plans for combo players. If this happens, my Red collection will probably be unplayable once my A35 bites the dust.

What are you other Reds doing? Are you still buying? Buying more? Giving up and going Purple? I'm interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:32 AM

I think most red supporters would tell you to continue buying your discs. It's hard to say. I personally postponed plans to go purple until I see how things will be sorting out.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:34 AM

my beliefs...don't buy it if you don't want to see it. You owe nothing to Toshiba and vice versa. If you are interested in the movie and it is a red, then go forth and buy.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:37 AM

I second the buy the film, not the format sentiment expressed above. If you are a fan of the film then buy it (this is the reason I am purple). I have yet to understand people who buy HDM movies they do not like for the sole purpose of "supporting" a corporation to whom HDM sales are but a drop in the bucket of their overall net income. I mean it is not exactly like opting to buy lemonade from one kid's lemonade stand over another's you happen to be trying to put out of business.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:40 AM
HD Adult Movie Enthusiast

keep buying red movies... if you like the movie buy it now... espcially warner titles... they might not be available for long.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:43 AM

Of course I'm still buying HD-DVDs.

God, it's not like if HD-DVD loses, all HD-DVDs will melt and all players will self-destruct. It's not like that, so why stop supporting the better format?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:46 AM

Personally I believe HD DVD is a better format for the general public, so I will continue to buy HD DVDs myself.

If the format loose all support in the future I will probably not even buy a Blu-ray player. The HD DVD movies in itself will not stop to work even if the format "looses", and there is enough players in circulation to buy another one if my current one dies. You can still find and buy betamax and Super8 players, why wouldn't a HD DVD player be found in the future?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:46 AM

I'll continue to buy HD-DVDs until I've gotten every single one I'm interested in getting. I won't be going blu, ever.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:49 AM

I guess I should clarify. I'm not buying to support a corporation. I'm wondering if buying will help to prolong the war to a time when combo players will be more affordable.

In terms of buying what you like, this is where I'm torn. I've never seen Beowolf. I don't think I'd like it. Then again, I want to support Paramount and their decision to support Red. Again, want to support them so the war continues. Anyone else doing this? I'm sure the Blus out there would hate me for this
Old 01-17-2008, 11:53 AM

I will continue to buy red movies i am intrested in till june then i will asses the situation and go from there .

I am with you waiting for prices to come down on duel format players before i even consider going blu.