paramount= quick cash, lazy transfers - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-17-2008, 05:09 AM

Default paramount= quick cash, lazy transfers

I have not been impressed with para. example, I have top gun on hd dvd and I have first blood on blu ray((((this is not a format comparo this is puting two older movies side by side))) I know top gun got a 4star video review, I think but to tell you the truth it looks like crap, it looks like a upconverted dvd. Now first blood, it looks fantastic and I'm so glad I got it, picture is great and has turned me back on to double diping older movies that I love! First blood I think is older then top gun, also top gun was a big budget movie in its day, what's the reason for this? Lazy quick cash. Old school.. I got it on hd for christmas, it also looks a tad better then a upconvert... wtf!!! Unless its a new movie I have no intrest in buying paramount catalog titles! I should not be surprised they have always put out barebones dvds anyway.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:32 AM

Sorry, but that's pure unadulterated crap .

I have got plenty of PARA titles (Trading Places, Aeon Flux, The Warriors, Zodiac, Black Rain) and they all look great (regardless to the level of the movie itself). The fact that you did not like the transfer of TOP GUN (and there are plenty of reviews trashing that opinion of yours) does not give you any justification for this stupid generalized attack on the whole PARA line up.

The fact that you take time to compare it to the Bluray version of a different movie speaks volumes to the ridiculousness of your position : I am really starting to be fed up with people coming to this section of the forum to play the "concern troll" act.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:35 AM

Top Gun has some edge enhancement, but the noise reduction on the First Blood BD is absolutely terrible in comparison.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:36 AM

Face off is the only back cataloge title i have of paramounts and that looks great
Old 01-17-2008, 05:38 AM

Default add

I can empathize with you, but I have the regular top gun dvd and in past, just comparing the beginning orange sky and workers sillouette sequence I can clearly see a difference which does make it improved. But yes, some transfers out there are not great, but paramount has some of the best transfers tier wise in their HD belt. Such as Black Snake Moan, The Warriors, Shooter, Star Trek series, etc. I was happy with Top Gun, Old School I have bought and yet to see. Untouchables wasn't great, but not horrible. U2 rattle and hum, IMO is their worst decision yet to put on high-def (maybe just for sound?). Unfortunately all the studios have put out some stinkers. (even Disney yet rare for them to mess up like they did with roving mars) So where does the stink fall? On the consumer if left unchecked? Ultimately the question is... How close are they to the actual print? I'd write to Mr. A. Company, if I find out, for sure, then why would I pay more for the same on software or more for the same or less on hardware in the wider spectrum of things.

Last edited by HDM-GHANDI; 01-17-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDM-GHANDI View Post
Black Snake Moan
I forgot about that one which I own too: I can confirm that it looks gorgeous.

I have also seen so episodes of TOS (a friend of mine imported Season 1) and the work done to restore such an old series is highly impressive ... lazy my **s !
Old 01-17-2008, 05:51 AM

MI3 looks awesome!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni9ht_5ta1k3r View Post
MI3 looks awesome!

Yes it does.

I only wtached it yesterday looks great.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:57 AM

Oh ya the sound in rambo was total shit. Rambo is on hddvd but you can only import and I'm sure it looks the same, I only have two older movies top gun and rambo, so yes i did compare them, top gun totaly turned me off with older movies. Old school also helped a lot in that, it looks like a fucking dvd! Why don't you rent it off netflix and see this for yourself before you jump on how great paramount is. If you wanna talk paramount go and look at some of your dvds, I have tons of them that don't have jack shit on them but a trailer. I am not a blu fan or a red fan I'm a movie fan, if you want me to spend $30 on a movie you need to produce the best transfer you can, blade runner from what everyone says looks as good as any movie put out today, if this is true then it should be the same for all older movies, not lets just put it out and make a buck!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:01 AM

Black snake moon should look good it is not that old, I am talking 1992 and back, rambo was put out in 1982. fuck even the empire stikes back in hd on my dvr smokes top gun.