Software Prices: THE FINAL FRONTIER - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-16-2008, 06:44 PM

Default Software Prices: THE FINAL FRONTIER

THESE ARE THE VOYAGES OF THE FORMAT KNOWN AS HD DVD. ON IT'S THREE YEAR MISSION TO DEFEAT BLU-RAY AND BECOME THE FORMAT OF CHOICE FOR ALL HDTV OWNERS.

Embracing the recently announced marketing strategies of Toshiba to advertise their players as upconverting standard DVD players, wouldn't it be beneficial for our software prices to mirror that of standard DVD? I suggest pricing the catalog titles at $14.99 and non-combo new releases at $19.99.

IMO, this would greatly increase sales numbers for our side which could do wonders for our survival during these trying times:

1. Seduce studios from the blu side to ours. This is substantiated by BBC's action to maintain support of our format.

2. It would perpetuate mass adoption seeing as how we already have the more economical and better performing hardware.

3. It would help us to be competitive with standard DVD. Why would a consumer with an hdtv purchase a standard DVD when they could get a HDM that would accent their HDTV's for the same price?
Old 01-16-2008, 07:01 PM

Oh come on.

I swear I'll blow up some buildings if this "threadbaiting" won't stop

This is the 8th thread covering this exact same topic now

It's not funny at all
Old 01-16-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
Oh come on.

It's not funny at all
I don't quite understand...what is supposed to be funny?
Old 01-16-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Oh come on.

It's not funny at all
Blinx,
I think you may have misread it. This does not seem to be a negative thread, it just is making the point that prices of software need to be the next frontier in promoting the format (using Star Trek terminology).

However, I do disagree that this likely soon. The point for studios at this junction is to make money on these releases in a new market, so it is not likely they will release titles at low prices all that soon.

Once the market is more mainstream, perhaps the prices will go down but is still too early for the time being.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:28 PM

If you look around titles aren't that expensive. On Amazon they have a lot of movies that are $20. Only the combos are really considered expensive and even that they are about $28. Just don't go to a ripoff store like Best Buy which charges you $35 per title. Oh and who can forget all those sales.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:59 PM

A agree with this pricing strategy because if we lose the war, hd-dvds will be selling for a lower price than 14.99.

Also, if hd-dvd is supposed to take over dvd one day, what is wrong with hd-dvds being priced the exact same as the competition?
Old 01-17-2008, 12:45 AM

HD DVD isn't there yet in terms of volume compared to DVD so the manufacturing costs are still higher (though Blu-Ray is still quite a bit higher than HD DVD based on what I've read.)

I'm all for them dipping the HD DVD MSRPs a little bit, but the studios aren't going to go toe to toe with DVD pricing just yet. HD DVD is still new tech and needs to be positioned as a higher-end product for now to help recoup some of the investment.

It would be really nice if it were only a $5 premium and not a $10-$15 premium.
I wonder what the real difference in manufacturing cost is between HD DVD and DVD.

Personally I wish studios would release non-combos at the same time that they release a combo version of a title because they're $5 cheaper and I don't really need the DVD side.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:45 PM

Telamon, I agree that combos are not necessary for the true HD fanatic. If I were interested in watching movies in SD, I would have stuck with the up converting dvd player. I feel like it was a good idea early in the format war to create these disc, but only as an option to the consumer that was considering a HD DVD upgrade. It has not panned out to be a drawing power for HD DVD(aimed at SD consumers). Therefore, if you continue to manufacture combo disc, don't pass the cost difference on to the (HD)consumer, not to mention the few QUIRKS associated with the combo disc. It has failed to do what it was designed to do so kill it.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telamon View Post
HD DVD isn't there yet in terms of volume compared to DVD so the manufacturing costs are still higher (though Blu-Ray is still quite a bit higher than HD DVD based on what I've read.)

I'm all for them dipping the HD DVD MSRPs a little bit, but the studios aren't going to go toe to toe with DVD pricing just yet. HD DVD is still new tech and needs to be positioned as a higher-end product for now to help recoup some of the investment.

It would be really nice if it were only a $5 premium and not a $10-$15 premium.
I wonder what the real difference in manufacturing cost is between HD DVD and DVD.

Personally I wish studios would release non-combos at the same time that they release a combo version of a title because they're $5 cheaper and I don't really need the DVD side.
I can remember reading back at the begenning of the war that hd-dvd was a lot cheaper to make than blu ray disks because the technology was very similar to a DVD but yet they sell for about the same exact price as blu, so either blu is not making as much money on them or HD dvd is making too much $$ on them.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Dude, people go to jail for saying stuff like that.