More Digital Playground Confusion - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Arkadin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 12,401
Default More Digital Playground Confusion

Now the Swanni says an online German site is claiming that Digital Playground will indeed drop HD DVD support. I wonder if this is the same interview cited earlier? It would be nice to get clarification on this. Maybe Blinx123 can read the actual article for all of us.

www.tvpredictions.com/studio011608.htm
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-16-2008, 09:19 AM
zaphod's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,667
Default

Here's the original story:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/suche...eldung/101629/

In a nutshell:

In an interview with heise online Digital Playground owner Joone confirmed the company would be phasing out HD DVD releases in the forseeable future. He declined to name a specific date, but hinted that the end of 2008 could see the last DP HD DVD release. Reasons given: a) the WB move b) the high profile title 'Pirates' sold twice as many copies on Blu than on HD.

DP plans to release eight titels on BD in February and then step up their release schedule to 16 titles per month [translator's note: Holy Crap! ], easily beating any mainstream Hollywood studio in this regard. All releases will be region code free.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Arkadin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 12,401
Default

wow. well that doesn't sound too encouraging does it. Thanks so much for reading the original article for us.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Blinx123's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Now the Swanni says an online German site is claiming that Digital Playground will indeed drop HD DVD support. I wonder if this is the same interview cited earlier? It would be nice to get clarification on this. Maybe Blinx123 can read the actual article for all of us.

www.tvpredictions.com/studio011608.htm
Damn. Am I the only one living in Germany, speaking German,French,Spanish,Dutch, English, Anglo-Saxon and Gaelic?


EDIT: Just read the heise report half it through (I'm getting headaches when reading long German reports so I haven't read it all )

So the studio director stated (at the "Porn CES" ) that there is a big chance in dropping the format end of the year 2008.

The Blu-Ray version of Pirates was sold at nearly double the rate of the HD-DVD version (the PS3 did a lot to it as he said).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-16-2008, 09:41 AM
zaphod's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
wow. well that doesn't sound too encouraging does it. Thanks so much for reading the original article for us.
No it doesn't; and you're welcome

There was some more stuff about Joone praising Blu for its large install base due to PS3 etc. etc.
He also said they would consider releasing BD 2.0 titles in the future but they're waiting for bigger (larger? deeper?) market penetration (*cough*) of 2.0 compliant players.

Wonder what sort of internet content will be available?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Blinx123's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
No it doesn't; and you're welcome

There was some more stuff about Joone praising Blu for its large install base due to PS3 etc. etc.
He also said they would consider releasing BD 2.0 titles in the future but they're waiting for bigger (larger? deeper?) market penetration (*cough*) of 2.0 compliant players.

Wonder what sort of internet content will be available?


Sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 149
Default

Digital Playground - Baa-aaa
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Digital Playground goes nuetral spicynacho High Definition Smackdown 63 01-08-2008 04:19 PM
2 more Digital Playground titles dink18 HD DVD Software General Discussion 11 12-30-2007 06:52 PM
Digital Playground: BD Replication Costs Down 50% from 2006: Now 3 to 4 Times HD DVD mikemorel High Definition Smackdown 110 12-22-2007 06:11 PM
Digital playground announces 15 more titles for the christmas season. ccphilly1984 HD DVD Software General Discussion 9 12-04-2007 01:00 AM
digital playground upping the ante? ccphilly1984 HD DVD Software General Discussion 3 11-28-2007 11:20 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off