There is a picture of an HD DVD player on the front page of "USA TODAY" Today!!!!!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-15-2008, 01:16 PM

Default There is a picture of an HD DVD player on the front page of "USA TODAY" Today!!!!!!

WOW!! this has got to be a first maybe. I really like buying this newspaper sometimes, and I just got today's copy, and I couldn't believe my eyes--there is a picture on an HD DVD player on the FRONT PAGE with the headline "Toshiba drops price in HD war" and then a smaller headline that reads "$150 high-def player to battle Blu-Ray, 4B."
Then you go to the business section to read the actual article. I bet that article is probably on the USA Today website. Maybe I will look.
Also, there are a few memorable quotes in the actual article such as "The HD camp is doubling down," says tech analyst Roger Kay at Endpoint Technologies associates. "Toshiba has to sell as many as they can...to populate the world with HD DVD players and maybe win back the studios."

The author of the article also offers up this winner--
"The two formats are not compatible which means a HD DVD USUALLY won't work in a Blu-Ray player." uhhhh really?
"usually" won't work? how bout NEVER lady!!

EDIT: Pictures now posted near end of thread!!

Last edited by Arkadin; 01-22-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
"The two formats are not compatible which means a HD DVD USUALLY won't work in a Blu-Ray player." uhhhh really?
"usually" won't work? how bout NEVER lady!!

Well, combo discs will work, or TL with DVD layer such as the Freedom discs Just won't be in HD...
Old 01-15-2008, 01:19 PM

Outstanding!! go Toshiba go! Thomas the tank engine is back on the rails and is full steam ahead trying to catch the big blu trains! ;-)
Old 01-15-2008, 01:20 PM

HD DVD SIMPLY WILL NEVER DIE! Face it everybody.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:22 PM

can someone get a picture of this please? I must see!
Old 01-15-2008, 01:23 PM

Toshiba turns up heat in DVD war with big price cut
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...terstitialskip
Old 01-15-2008, 01:23 PM

I think its alittle to late. They still won't win the war..
Old 01-15-2008, 01:25 PM

Great news. BDA spent last week trashing HD-DVD and in a bad way. Even better to see Toshiba come back and have good marketing, and doing it without resorting to BDA tactics of trashing the other side. Go HD-DVD!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian451 View Post
HD DVD SIMPLY WILL NEVER DIE! Face it everybody.

Actually, I don't think it will. Even if all studios threw in the towel (which I don't think is happening), there is a pretty damn large user base out there and hardware will be made for years.

Even DVD-Audio capable hardware is still being manufactured and the user bases for that is even smaller than for HDM hardware, and yet that user base is still being catered too. Heck panasonic built in DVD-Audio capability into a recent Blu-ray player.

However, IMO there is every reason to believe HD DVD can continue to grow, in fact at current prices and with 2 exclusive studios, they will likely even build momentum - and Toshiba seems to be making the commitment to up the advertising targeted at mainstream consumers!
Old 01-15-2008, 01:26 PM

can someone take a picture of the newspaper it self and post that?