‘Mobsters’ – High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-14-2008, 12:28 PM

Default ‘Mobsters’ – High-Def Digest Review

Just posted Peter’s review for ‘Mobsters.” He says this HD DVD release is just as unmemorable as the film, with decent video, unimpressive audio, and not a single supplement.

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1203/mobsters.html
Old 01-14-2008, 01:02 PM

Default 2 stars is generous

I just finished this monstrosity of a movie. All i have to say is thank god i rented this HD DVD. The 2 star review is really generous and streching it. This may be one of the worst films of all time. There is nothing remotely redeemingly campy, it is totally devoid of any notion of actual entertainment. The acting and directing are horrible. Patrick Dempsey may deliver the worst performance i have ever witnessed from an actor. It is painful to watch him muddle through his lines. A warning to everyone, do not buy this movie.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:17 PM

Universal needs to start being more selective about thier catalog titles on HD DVD. I'd rather them release less and up the quality. It is frustrating because on one hand they will release great titles like "The Pianist", "Pride & Prejudice", the underrated "The War" and then will release worthless titles like this. Common Universal, time to get serious.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:27 PM

Even for 'Mobsters' fans (all two of you), there’s not enough of an upgrade here over the standard DVD to warrant a look.

okay so me and whos the other fan???? I dont care what anyone says i will be buying this title as soon as i see it. id order it on amazon but im giving my amazon visa a break
Old 01-14-2008, 04:46 PM

Mobsters appears to be one of the worst titles released. i've never even heard of this movie?
Old 01-14-2008, 05:20 PM

Default Have you ever seen it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear31 View Post
okay so me and whos the other fan???? I dont care what anyone says i will be buying this title as soon as i see it. id order it on amazon but im giving my amazon visa a break
Have you ever seen the movie? I can't imagine what there is to be a fan of. I mean i can definitly apprecciate a camp fest, but this flick doesn't even hold up as a campy early nineties teen flick. While some movies can continue to entertain, with the it's so bad it is good angle, Mobster's fails miserably and is a total bore fest with no redeaming or endearing qualities.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosman22 View Post
Have you ever seen the movie? I can't imagine what there is to be a fan of. I mean i can definitly apprecciate a camp fest, but this flick doesn't even hold up as a campy early nineties teen flick. While some movies can continue to entertain, with the it's so bad it is good angle, Mobster's fails miserably and is a total bore fest with no redeaming or endearing qualities.
its a guilty pleasure for me. I saw it when i was a kid in theaters. Bought the dvd awhile back and eventhough its being bashed im still getting the hd dvd. I can understand why people wouldnt like it but its just a guilty pleasure for me
Old 01-14-2008, 06:16 PM

Wasnt expecting much from this..Youd think Uni would very much try and achieve 5 star ratings on alot of Catalog titles to get back in the game.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:56 PM

I gave this one a rent without having any idea how bad it was. Why did Universal release this on HD DVD? How many copies is this going to sell, 10? If they want to release these sub-par content wise catalog titles, at least give us a decent transfer. Timecop did not really need a HD DVD release, but I thought it looked darn good.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear31 View Post
Even for 'Mobsters' fans (all two of you), there’s not enough of an upgrade here over the standard DVD to warrant a look.

I'm the other fan! Not enough to buy it, but I watched this when I was younger, and was a huge mobster movie fanatic. I catch it when it's on TV, but that's about it. I take it for what it is, a cheesy mobster movie. Not in the realm of Godfather (read the book, makes the movie even better) Goodfellas etc.