Whare is the HD-DVD Group? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-10-2008, 04:20 PM

Default Whare is the HD-DVD Group?

I'm getting a little annoyed at the way hd-dvd g has not given us any answers. We as consumers deserve answers on what the next step will be, sooner than later. I telephoned hd-dvd and even the employees (call taker) has no clue on what is going on. Let us know so we can move on already, this is getting old!
Old 01-10-2008, 04:23 PM
O_o

Who did you call? The HD DVD Promotional Group does not have a consumer point of contact. Also these things take time, not one person decides, you have over 130 global partners to consult before they could make any strategy changes.

Official about info:

Quote:
HD DVD is the next generation, post-DVD standard for high capacity,
high definition optical discs, approved by the DVD Forum. The DVD Forum
develops and defines DVD formats. Its more than 200 strong membership
brings together leaders in movies and entertainment, computing, consumer
electronics and software. HD DVD is fast becoming the primary visual medium
for the age of high-definition TV. The North American HD DVD Promotional
Group, Inc. is an organization established to promote the HD DVD format and
educate consumers in North America. For more information and a complete
listing of HD DVD launch titles please visit
http://www.TheLookAndSoundOfPerfect.com.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-MAN View Post
I telephoned hd-dvd
Ehhh wrong, try again.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Greenway View Post
Ehhh wrong, try again.
I called the HD-DVD Concierge number, which is there to answer your questions. Don't get me wrong I know that they may not have the full scoop, but they couldn't answer a single question.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-MAN View Post
I called the HD-DVD Concierge number, which is there to answer your questions. Don't get me wrong I know that they may not have the full scoop, but they couldn't answer a single question.
Not surprising, they are just call center operators. However, I called them and they told me that Toshiba has no intention to drop the format and is working with its partners in order to determine the next steps.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:51 PM

Eventually the dust will settle and things will be back on track. I bet Uni will announce more HD DVD titles next week.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
Not surprising, they are just call center operators. However, I called them and they told me that Toshiba has no intention to drop the format and is working with its partners in order to determine the next steps.
I'll bet they are.

What else can they say, really? We haven't heard anything because this is a huge blow. Emphasis on huge.

Whatever they might say would sound as stiff and "form letter" as the couple of press releases. We should face it: surviving the Warner exit in any meaningful way will require something Biblical in proportion. The existing HD base is way too small to support major label releases, and everybody is eyeing growth.

At best, some very fancy footwork, and options that I doubt Toshiba has seriously considered yet, might...might end with a surviving format, but for many, many years, on the fringe. A niche format that few well-heeled parties will be seriously interested in supporting.

And, hey, I'm not a Blu fanboy. Just being realistic. I just started to go Purple about six weeks ago, figuring that both would survive and thrive near equally, with dual players becoming more and more the norm.

I have 118 HD titles, and I plan to enjoy them for many more years.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geonosis View Post
Who did you call? The HD DVD Promotional Group does not have a consumer point of contact. Also these things take time, not one person decides, you have over 130 global partners to consult before they could make any strategy changes.
Official about info:
Yeah right. At least someone understanding the terms of business.

Guys. Is patience such a big deal? You've to be patient in those things as it's not like the HD-DVD forum CEO has just to call in his mother to solve problems