So many HD DVD's for sale on E-Bay - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-10-2008, 10:44 AM

Default So many HD DVD's for sale on E-Bay

Ive been lurking around here for a bit but this is my first post. I am a HD DVD supporter and will continue until forced otherwise. I just noticed this morning that there's 5,043 HD-DVD'd for sale on E-Bay compared to 152 Blue-Ray Discs (of which the total between both are 3,656 new and 1,581 used) That just seems like an enormous number of HD-DVD's. Could it be that this many people are giving up on HD-DVD? Just sell off and cut their losses early. I still have hope for HD-DVD and would love to see it prevail in the end... maybe hopeless but I will continue to buy HD-DVD because I feel it is the better format for me.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:03 AM

I hope your HD-DVD player lasts a long long time because chances are Standalone HD-DVD players will dry up in a year or so. If your HD-DVD player breaks a few years down the road it won't be easy to find a replacement.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:14 AM

I don't know where u got your numbers but there's over 5 thousand blu rays for sale. I think what you did was search for hd DVD then narrowed the search to blu ray, therefore elemanating most results
Old 01-10-2008, 11:18 AM

I expect Dual Format Players to be quite normal for the next few years. So, I'm not worried about being able to play my content. No point in selling it...for a loss, then re-buying it for more money.

A $34 HD Film would end up being closer to $50 after all is said and done.

*EDIT* Not too mention the lack of any "visual" difference.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:18 AM

I've gotten about 20 hd dvds dirt cheap on eBay.. bonus for me..

BTW: Watched Matrix HD DVD last night. Still works in my player
Old 01-10-2008, 11:29 AM

wait... even though warner went blu HD DVD movies still work in HD DVD players?!?!?!?
Old 01-10-2008, 11:31 AM

do a search for blu and you'll find over 5k titles for sale, about the same for HD (also some of the blu and hd titles are found in each others searches).
What amazes me is the prices are not really dropping... ($200 for the jack ryan collection!!!)
there are some good deals, and I've bought a few, but the prices haven't changed that much from what I can see. Compared to most titles that are $19-18 on amazon, some of these ebay titles aren't a great deal. Now I haven't been scouring all the listing so there may be some better ones out there.

No worries about player support either, if worse comes to worse then Toshiba if/when they make a Blu player I'd imagine it will include HD playback as well. If an official peace is reached then more official Blu players will probably enable HD playback. (actually if an official peace is reached Blu could benefit greatly by scrapping the buggy software and utilizing HDi as well as other HD technology. )

PS Missed Hawker152's post, but its the same point.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowspark View Post
I hope your HD-DVD player lasts a long long time because chances are Standalone HD-DVD players will dry up in a year or so. If your HD-DVD player breaks a few years down the road it won't be easy to find a replacement.
Regardless of HD DVD's format existence, they must support the hardware for 6 years meaning, once they decide to cease production, they must have the parts for HD DVD players available for technicians and consumers. Think about it, many stores carry extended warranties to service or replace gear that fails. I'm sure HD DVD will not be flying off the shelves anymore since the announcement from Warner and lack their of from HD DVD at CES.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:02 PM

Yes, yes... my fault, I did do a HD-DVD search and narrowed it down so there were Blue Ray titles in there too! Sorry. You are right though, many titles out there for the $15-$20 range and I'm going to stock up! I picked up Superman Retuns for $20 and Corpse Bride for $15 - keep those deals coming!!
Old 01-10-2008, 03:58 PM

I for one am loving the eBay action. I picked up a 25 HD DVD lot, of which I needed 19 titles, for less than 4 bucks each. I have also won 6 individual auctions for around 7-8 bucks each.

I expect I should have anywhere between 400-500 HD DVD's by the time HD DVD actually stops producing new titles and that is more than enough reason for me to keep HD DVD in my home entertainment system for another 5-10 years.