Jesus Christ! Warner Now Says that Gas Prices Determined the format War! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-07-2008, 08:56 PM

Default Jesus Christ! Warner Now Says that Gas Prices Determined the format War!

Unbelievable. check out my thread in smackdown. interview with Warner has them saying that their decision to dump HD DVD was based on gas prices.
Are you fucking kidding me?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Unbelievable. check out my thread in smackdown. interview with Warner has them saying that their decision to dump HD DVD was based on gas prices.
Yes, that is an odd one which doesn't make sense. If they are saying they are cuting corners because of the recession, you would think Blu-ray was equally a liability.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
Yes, that is an odd one which doesn't make sense. If they are saying they are cuting corners because of the recession, you would think Blu-ray was equally a liability.
Or that the affordable solution might take off a bit quicker if the momentum were to shift that way given that gas (and just about everything else, too) is costing more. Not a reasonable explanation at all.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:35 PM

Maybe HD-DVD's are heavier slightly, thusly lowering the gas mileage of the trucks/planes hauling the supply to stores?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:37 PM

So let me get this straight, they still haven't issued a real explanation? First 'the consumer has chossen the PS3.. oh, we mean blu-ray' and now this?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:39 PM

I nearly pissed myself when I read that. Will the real explanation/excuse/$500 million stand up?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:46 PM

With all the money that Sony has lost/spent on ps3 and blu-ray, is it really going to be worth it, when/if they become lord and master of their very own niche market?
Old 01-07-2008, 10:11 PM
analog/digital audio expert

Yes it will. Sony will reap Billions over the next decade if this lands in their favor. There WAS a reason the titans picked a battle. Toshiba just chose a wimpy partner in Microsoft, who clearly could have tilted this but never put skin in the game.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
So let me get this straight, they still haven't issued a real explanation? First 'the consumer has chossen the PS3.. oh, we mean blu-ray' and now this?
The only other excuse I can imagine is that "we're sick of spending time developing all this interactivity and online content that works across all players."...
Old 01-07-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Hey, anything is better than "The BDA paid us more."