my thoughts on the current state of affairs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-07-2008, 06:21 AM

Default my thoughts on the current state of affairs

http://hddvdreviews.blogspot.com/200...-stalwart.html
Old 01-07-2008, 12:30 PM

Hi Eddie,

Nice blog post. Many people don't know of your long term passion and participation in this industry long before HDM became the latest thing, and so I feel I should mention that since I have followed your discussions for a number of years over on DVD Town.

I totally agree with the sentiment, Universal and Paramount are essential to me and I will continue to buy HD DVDs as long as they are supporting the format. n I am also not pessimistic about the future of HD DVD though it is extremely likely it will stay in second place for the foreseeable future, but they have ebough going for it that I think it will carry them through the tide and end up by default in most mainstream players albeit co-existng with Blu-ray (though Toshiba can do a lot to get HD DVD in a larger range of entry level DVD players as well, which could potentially give them a competitive market share - but I admit Toshiba really has to play it cards well for that to happen).

But at the end of the day, after a fairly dour weekend, I am feeling optimistic again in terms of HD DVD continuing to survive and grow its market share in various ways, even if the approach needs to be different. So they have my support, as does Blu-ray (for studio titles - I prefer HD DVD for consumer friendliness).
Old 01-07-2008, 12:59 PM

blurry,

as always, thanks for your kind words!

it is always possible that warner will go back to being neutral--or even flopping to hd dvd, and the other studios could do either, too. the best that hd-dvd supporters can do now is to buy as many warner hd dvds between now and 31 may as possible.

this has to be done from retailers, of course, and not from each other.

eddie
Old 01-07-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posters5 View Post
I like your style !!!
Old 01-07-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
Hi Eddie,

Nice blog post. Many people don't know of your long term passion and participation in this industry long before HDM became the latest thing, and so I feel I should mention that since I have followed your discussions for a number of years over on DVD Town.

I totally agree with the sentiment, Universal and Paramount are essential to me and I will continue to buy HD DVDs as long as they are supporting the format. n I am also not pessimistic about the future of HD DVD though it is extremely likely it will stay in second place for the foreseeable future, but they have ebough going for it that I think it will carry them through the tide and end up by default in most mainstream players albeit co-existng with Blu-ray (though Toshiba can do a lot to get HD DVD in a larger range of entry level DVD players as well, which could potentially give them a competitive market share - but I admit Toshiba really has to play it cards well for that to happen).

But at the end of the day, after a fairly dour weekend, I am feeling optimistic again in terms of HD DVD continuing to survive and grow its market share in various ways, even if the approach needs to be different. So they have my support, as does Blu-ray (for studio titles - I prefer HD DVD for consumer friendliness).
I agree with the blog and Blurry.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:16 PM

love the blog. Added to my fav.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:18 PM

I agree!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:32 PM

Agreed here as well! I'm not a Sony hater I just don't like the unfinished Blu-ray platform.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:23 PM

I will still keep purchasing hd dvd, with so many titles yet to purchase nothing has changed except not getting all harry potters in hd dvd.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:29 PM

I have been reading around the forum for a while now and trying to work out the stance people have been taking generally. I am so pleased to see so many people posting their faith in both the formats technology and confidence in HD DVDs future.

I made a blog post a couple of days ago and I must admit I have been feeling quite glum about the whole situation, however I am feeling a little better about it all more recently.

In my own opinion, HD DVD is the better of the two formats for the consumer and I still hope (rightly or wrongly) that HD DVD can come back from this and prove that the format war is far from over.

I do understand the comments about a desire for the war to end so investing in HD movies isn't such a stress, but Blu-ray still has quite a way to go to become a standard.