Paramount to re-make Frank Herbert's Dune - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-07-2008, 01:37 AM

Default Paramount to re-make Frank Herbert's Dune

A new adaptation with Peter Berg (director of the Kingdom and Very Bad Things) directing.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34449
Old 01-07-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
A new adaptation with Peter Berg (director of the Kingdom and Very Bad Things) directing.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34449
Hey, well I look forward to it, but between Lynch's version, which I think is masterful, though maybe not appealing to mainstream sci-fi buffs and the sci-fi channel adaptations, there are already too many versions to choose from.

But still cool.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:50 AM

Well the mini-series benefited at least from more time. This should really be done as a trilogy. And they might want to try casting some one who can act as Duncan Idaho instead of putting someone very ill-cast in the roll and then suddenly remembering that he's one of the keys to the all six novels. They had to recast for the second set of the sci-fi channel mini-series.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:40 AM

Berg is an odd choice to direct this. He hasn't attempted sci-fi or anything of this scale in the past, and frankly he has yet to make a financially successful movie.

I don't think we need another Dune remake, but it can't possibly be worse than that Sci-Fi Channel abomination.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:42 AM

I know my dad will be excited, but you can never, ever beat the original.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
Hey, well I look forward to it, but between Lynch's version, which I think is masterful, though maybe not appealing to mainstream sci-fi buffs and the sci-fi channel adaptations, there are already too many versions to choose from.

But still cool.
lol...lynch's version is awful....totally awful!...The book needs a 2 part movie version, or a Jackson-esque 3hr plus version. The lynch's version is ugly, cheap, and is like kicking dirt in the eyes of Dune fans!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:39 PM
analog/digital audio expert

I agree, Lynch's version absolutely failed to meet the standard set by the book. If we're lucky, they'll take a cue from Peter Jackson's approach to LOTR and make a long, high quality movie. The book is SO rich, that dumbing it down to a two hour movie to fit a formula would just result in another crappy version.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:44 PM

I like the Sci-fi adaptation a lot, so I stick with that. They need to update the CGI on it though, some of it is pretty craptacular.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbeans View Post
lol...lynch's version is awful....totally awful!...The book needs a 2 part movie version, or a Jackson-esque 3hr plus version. The lynch's version is ugly, cheap, and is like kicking dirt in the eyes of Dune fans!
It's one thing to not like the Lynch film, but to call it ugly and cheap is just a lie. Watch the HD DVD and then tell us how ugly and cheap you think it is.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I don't think we need another Dune remake, but it can't possibly be worse than that Sci-Fi Channel abomination.
Sorry, but I thought Sci Fi's version what MUCH, MUCH better than Lynch's.