The case for Purple - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-06-2008, 04:38 PM

Default The case for Purple

I just bought an HD DVD player (HD A35) in December and I have enjoyed having it. I went HD DVD not because I thought it was better, but because I thought I would need to be Purple for maximum enjoyment and I had/have every intention of getting a BD player soon. I was waiting till there were more 1.1 BD players to jump in.

Here is the question that I haven't seen much talk about since TW's decision to go Blu. Are Paramount, Universal and Dreamworks obligated to stay with HD since they allegedly took a payoff to be exclusive?

If they are, I feel good about my Purple analysis and decision to start with HD. If not, should I be thinking about returning my HD player now while I still can? My thought is as long as there are exclusives out there, Purple is the only way to not be left out in the cold. I know right now my kids can't wait for me to get a BD player for the Disney movies which will never be on HD DVD.

While I'm at it, is waiting for more variety in version 1.1 BD players worth the wait or not?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:43 PM

Theres a couple threads saying Paramount reserves the right to opt out of the contract. Not sure if it is true. As for the variety of 1.1 players, we will see a ton after CES. I have my eye on the new Panasonic BD-50 just announced.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:44 PM

The paramout/dreamworks contract was only for 18 months... I know a lot of people are against having a gaming console as a player, but the ps3 is really a great option. It's already profile 1.1 and has downloadable blu-ray demos.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:45 PM

undoublty they may breach the contract and pay a fine to just get out at this rate. Loss of warner is a huge blow, we all know it, and they can't subject themselves to selling to the lesser end of the market right now
Old 01-06-2008, 06:09 PM

I think this week will be a decisive one for the future of HD DVD. As far as I'm concerned, as long as there is one major studio staying exclusive, I will maintain a neutral stance, keep my HD DVD player, and buy a version 1.1 BD player as soon as I can get a decent one with no compromises for about $300. I think I got the A35 for about that price, and I don't think I gave anything up with that model (outside of Warner :-) )
Old 01-06-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash View Post
The paramout/dreamworks contract was only for 18 months... I know a lot of people are against having a gaming console as a player, but the ps3 is really a great option. It's already profile 1.1 and has downloadable blu-ray demos.
really ? does the 60GB version also have 1.1 ? what about 2.0 ?
Old 01-06-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkiller View Post
really ? does the 60GB version also have 1.1 ? what about 2.0 ?
Not out yet.

And the profile hasn't something to do with the version of the PS3. All PS3 consoles do have the same firmware.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:02 AM

1.1? why step backwards? HD DVD has internet connectivity right now - you'll lose that on BD. Some say they don't care, but really, when you look at your all time favorite movie, wouldn't you die for more?

Oh and a total sidenote, I don't want a game console. Why should I pay a premium for something I really could care less about. It's starting to look more and more like sony is pushing their game console not a format for movies. Otherwise, why would you not include the same functionality on a stand alone? Just get out a stand alone with the same functionality of HD DVD and software to match it. Otherwise - I'm sticking with HD DVD and all of the wonderful features it has to offer.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnorth_12 View Post
1.1? why step backwards? HD DVD has internet connectivity right now - you'll lose that on BD. Some say they don't care, but really, when you look at your all time favorite movie, wouldn't you die for more?

Oh and a total sidenote, I don't want a game console. Why should I pay a premium for something I really could care less about. It's starting to look more and more like sony is pushing their game console not a format for movies. Otherwise, why would you not include the same functionality on a stand alone? Just get out a stand alone with the same functionality of HD DVD and software to match it. Otherwise - I'm sticking with HD DVD and all of the wonderful features it has to offer.
Aggreed. Not to forget about the wonderful StarTrek Phaser remote You can't get this on a Blu-Ray player.