Universal Paramount Dreamworks better not let us down. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-06-2008, 02:20 PM

Default Universal Paramount Dreamworks better not let us down.

I have been lurking here for months but decided to register and start posting after the recent Warners announcement.

There is alot of doom and gloom going around and sure this was a devastating blow to the HD DVD camp but as long as the Universal, Paramount and Dreamworks don't bail and give us some stellar support and more aggressive pricing and releases I will still back the format.

If those studios get scared and turn that will be the biggest stab in the back to the user-base right now. I would expect them to remain exclusive for at least all of 2008. They need to think outside the box and get very creative and innovative with their discs and interactivity.

What sucks is that the other studios were suckered into drinking the PS3 kool-aid and though there is a decent number of consoles out there, fact is the PS3 is dead last this generation. If Sony didn't have their heads up their ass when designing that system things could have been different in a couple ways.

Long story short don't dump your HD DVD discs and players, sit tight a little longer, hold the line we still have three good studios lets hope they do the right thing.

These formats are still new and we are all the early adopters and being such we run the most risk of getting bitten the hardest.

Worst case scenario is they go neutral at some point in the future (hopefully 2009) and we get some good affordable dual format players from Toshiba.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:28 PM

For me, it is the stance of the remaining studios which will really define the situation for me. I am optimistic that they will continue to support HD DVD, but I am waiting to hear what public statements they make in the upcoming weeks and at CES to get a feeling for how committed they are.

I also agree that Toshiba can do a lot to help cement HD DVD's position. They can for example make all of their DVD players have HD DVD playback capability in standard much like they are about to do with PCs. Also, they could make a dual format player competitive in price with stand-along Blu-ray players and not only undercut that market but get more dual format support out there. that in combination with economic DVD players with HD DVD playback (these without Blu-ray) would actually cause the market to expand despite these recent announcements. And I am certain they have other cards up their sleeves.

I think the real challenge for Toshiba is to get the HD DVD exclusive studios to maintain their support, but if they show aggressive enough plans for HD DVD, then that may not be so difficult.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:35 PM

Some companies do have morals and contractual obligations. Blu-ray is still far from complete. Hell, Fox can't make their discs play on all Blu-ray equipment right now.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
I have been lurking here for months but decided to register and start posting after the recent Warners announcement.

There is alot of doom and gloom going around and sure this was a devastating blow to the HD DVD camp but as long as the Universal, Paramount and Dreamworks don't bail and give us some stellar support and more aggressive pricing and releases I will still back the format.

If those studios get scared and turn that will be the biggest stab in the back to the user-base right now. I would expect them to remain exclusive for at least all of 2008. They need to think outside the box and get very creative and innovative with their discs and interactivity.

What sucks is that the other studios were suckered into drinking the PS3 kool-aid and though there is a decent number of consoles out there, fact is the PS3 is dead last this generation. If Sony didn't have their heads up their ass when designing that system things could have been different in a couple ways.

Long story short don't dump your HD DVD discs and players, sit tight a little longer, hold the line we still have three good major studios (but a lot of good smaller studios too.) lets hope they do the right thing.

These formats are still new and we are all the early adopters and being such we run the most risk of getting bitten the hardest.

Worst case scenario is they go neutral at some point in the future (hopefully 2009) and we get some good affordable dual format players from Toshiba.
I agree. It's not over now. I corrected your sentence a little so it looks even better for HD-DVD.

Local BestBuy numbers can't show anything because only a minority bought from them.

Also I don't really get it. Paramount/Dreamworks made some great movies (Shrek3, There Will Be Blood, Zodiac for example). It's not all about quantity but quality. Most of the Warner titles are 20-70 year old catalogue titles not everyone is enjoying (because of the age).

BTW: If Paramount,Dreamworks and Universal cut HD-DVD support I from now on will call them the snake/worm companies because they are turning sides as fast as only snakes or worms can do. They would be companies I really couldn't trust in then.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:41 PM

Ahh here come the Bluboys into the HD DVD forums to rub salt and gloat.

I realize that this is a difficult situation for the HD DVD camp but I can afford to support the format. I didn't throw away all my DVDs when the Hi-Def formats emerged and if needs be I will buy a dual format player at some point.

I am taking a wait and see approach based on what the three remaining exclusive studios decide. If they keep releasing titles I will still buy them, simple enough.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
Also I don't really get it. Paramount/Dreamworks made some great movies (Shrek3, There Will Be Blood, Zodiac for example). It's not all about quantity but quality. Most of the Warner titles are 20-70 year old catalogue titles not everyone is enjoying (because of the age).
See, I wouldn't call anything high quality just because it's new. Those 20-70 year old catalog titles are getting released largely because they're classics; if anything, I'd say the older titles are higher in average quality than the newer ones (not a/v quality, but general movie quality).

I'd much, much rather watch Blade Runner, Casablanca or The Adventures of Robin Hood than, say, any of the Shrek movies, for example. To me, Warner's one of the top studios because they have such strong support for their back catalog classics.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the quick clean-up.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie-Wan View Post
See, I wouldn't call anything high quality just because it's new. Those 20-70 year old catalog titles are getting released largely because they're classics; if anything, I'd say the older titles are higher in average quality than the newer ones (not a/v quality, but general movie quality).

I'd much, much rather watch Blade Runner, Casablanca or The Adventures of Robin Hood than, say, any of the Shrek movies, for example. To me, Warner's one of the top studios because they have such strong support for their back catalog classics.
Ya right. They maybe of higher quality and classics too but like I said: Not everyone is enjoying 20-70 year old classics and especially wouldn't buy them on such high prices. My dad wouldn't pay a single shillling on classics for example but look them on TV.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:37 PM

I just took a look at my HD DVD collection, and if I had to eliminate all the catalog titles, I'd have just 'Clerks II' and the first season of 'Heroes' left.

This early in the lifespan of HD disc format, catalog releases are nearly as important as the day-and-date new releases. Warners can release 'Adventures of Robin Hood' and know that even though not many people will buy it now, it will be a steady seller for years to come, especially as the market grows and the number of people who would like classic films like that adopt the format. More importantly, it helps to boost the number of titles available on the format and on the shelves of your local retailer, giving confidence to people uncertain of buying into the format. The next time you're at Best Buy, go to the HD section and mentally subtract all the space taken up by catalog titles. You'll be shocked by just how little space the remainder takes up.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:37 PM

I have full confidence in Universal. They will not let us down!