TOSHIBA Response #1 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-06-2008, 01:52 PM

Default TOSHIBA Response #1

Still waiting on the official HD DVD Press conference with the blockbuster we wanted but I am sure they are working on some kind of blockbuster new$ for us.

for now various sources have listed toshiba as saying:

1. War is NOT over. they are not giving up on HD DVD
2. They are going to start including HD DVD drives in all toshiba laptops at lower prices.
3. stepped up advertising
Old 01-06-2008, 02:18 PM

The thing is, the Warners announcement landed with near perfect timing for Blu-ray. While CES hadn't yet begun, tech writers from mainstream media had most likely already arrived in Vegas. If the announcement's impact wasn't already loud enough, it surely was as the writers kept bouncing their thoughts and ideas off each other. Add in Friday night's cancelation of the HD DVD event and the mental image of one format running away and hiding, and you have something the mainstream media are more than willing to jump on, if only to justify their paper/station's expense of sending them to cover the event.

Cut to whenever, when Toshiba and the rest of the HD DVD camp make an announcement. It won't be at CES, so the media won't be as focused on it. It may get a mention on CNN's Tech Minute (or whatever it's called), but most likely won't make it to the main section of the news.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:20 PM

Absolute insanity. Toshiba better start making dual players because HD-DVD will not be around for too much longer. Who in the hell would continually spend there marketing money on this? I cannot imagine the shareholders are for this.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellaeon View Post
Absolute insanity. Toshiba better start making dual players because HD-DVD will not be around for too much longer. Who in the hell would continually spend there marketing money on this? I cannot imagine the shareholders are for this.
Yeah. But the shareholders may have thought the same about Blu-Ray some months ago.

Guys, let us make a final word about this: war isn't over for neither side but the medal is flipping every quarter year or so.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:32 PM

Paramount/univeral are big studios and if they continue to back HD-DVD then so will i(while going neutral).

How ever MS is still a backer and they have the funds to turn this if they want even tho i dont see it happening they could.

We never saw the warner announcment coming so you never know.

How ever i am of the same general opinion as most on here that HD-DVD is a dyeing format.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menaceuk View Post
Paramount/univeral are big studios and if they continue to back HD-DVD then so will i(while going neutral).

How ever MS is still a backer and they have the funds to turn this if they want even tho i dont see it happening they could.

We never saw the warner announcment coming so you never know.

How ever i am of the same general opinion as most on here that HD-DVD is a dyeing format.
HD DVD (notice no -) is not dying. I must be one of the few who disagrees with your general opinion
Old 01-06-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDT View Post
HD DVD (notice no -) is not dying. I must be one of the few who disagrees with your general opinion
You entitles to opinion and i respect it.

I just dont see how HD-DVD can compete on a aggressive level when blu-ray has 70% of the market.

Like i said unless MS buys warner and somebody else(which they wont)i see HD-DVD just dyeing out over the next year
Old 01-06-2008, 03:03 PM

From all accounts, HD DVD did NOT cancel their press conference, but only postponed it. Microsoft, Paramount and Universal are still supporting HD DVD, and haven't even issued a statement yet. Warner is a huge blow, but why is everyone going nuts and jumping ship? I've had nothing but emails asking my return policy on unopened movies. Wait for the dust to settle on this Warner announcment. Paramount and Universal have killer titles coming out in 2008 in theatres. It would be much more devastating if Microsoft announces a Blu-ray drive for Xbox, or if Universal went neutral.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAddicts View Post
From all accounts, HD DVD did NOT cancel their press conference, but only postponed it.
"A rep for the group told us this evening that the press conference will not be rescheduled, but that the group will still have a presence at the show from its booth on the convention floor." (from High-Def Digest's story "HD DVD Promo Group Cancels CES Press Conference")
Old 01-06-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie_barzel View Post
"A rep for the group told us this evening that the press conference will not be rescheduled, but that the group will still have a presence at the show from its booth on the convention floor." (from High-Def Digest's story "HD DVD Promo Group Cancels CES Press Conference")
Can't be right. Microsoft and Toshiba will speak on a press conference this evening and that's for sure.