So how long might we expect HD DVDs to remain in production? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-06-2008, 01:34 PM

Default So how long might we expect HD DVDs to remain in production?

I know the Warner announcement states they'll continue to release new HD DVDs until May, after which they'll go exclusively Blu. Then what? I presume they'll discontinue production of their current HD DVD catalog, but does anyone think they'll instead continue pressing the already-released titles for a little while, and just not release any new ones?

Also, with Warner's announcement, for how long can we expect other HD DVD labels to issue new discs in the format, and keep old ones in print? I expect Paramount to go back to pressing BDs as soon as their agreement permits them to so, whenever that is; will there be a brief transition period during which they press on both formats once again, or will it be an abrupt switch, ceasing HD DVD releases one day and starting BD releases the day after? How much longer will Universal keep its stuff available on HD DVD, and what about the smaller specialty labels?
Old 01-06-2008, 01:36 PM

For quite some time.

I will continue purchasing HD DVDs, no matter what. I want a collection of at least 200-250 HD DVDs before the year is out. Yeah... that's a lot of buying, I know.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:37 PM

who cares about warner! We will continue to buy HD DVDs and as long as Universal, Paramount, and Dreamworks release them then we will have great movies to own on the (superior) HD DVD format

WB was Blu-rays big stunner. Toshiba/MS will have their own announcment I am sure soon.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:41 PM

Actually, it looks like even Warner may continue to sell its catalog titles for quite some time: http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...Still_TBD/1330

Quote:
As for the continued availablity of Warner's existing HD DVD library post-May, Tsujiharan said the studio hadn't yet reached a decision with regard to its HD DVD back catalog, but that it would likely comply with the requests of its retail partners, saying "if major retailers say that they want something, we typically accommodate them."
The hilite above strongly suggests they may continue selling HD DVDs for some time, even if no new titles after May. However, if Toshiba does sue them for breach of contract, Warner could respond by discontinuing catalog releases.

Franky, I think it is not much of a problem to continue replicating HD DVDs for them since it is well known that there are many HD DVD capable lines and no real replication issues, unlike with Blu-ray where the studios are competing with themselves to allocate replication runs (one of the reasons that it is said Fox wanted to bail on Blu-ray)
Old 01-06-2008, 01:41 PM

I doubt Warner will keep printing their back catalog titles (Batman Begins, Harry Potter, etc) but will only print new release HD DVDs until May and then stop all together.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:42 PM

The only place you might be able to buy them by then is Amazon or other online retailers though.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo976 View Post
The only place you might be able to buy them by then is Amazon or other online retailers though.
Yeah, sadly that may be true unless Toshiba finds an approach to get more players out on the market. However, more neutral places like Fry's are likely to continue selling them as long as there is demand. Politics drive much of what goes on at Best Buy and Circuit City, so we may see them removing inventory (unless Toshiba does something to convince them otherwise).
Old 01-06-2008, 01:53 PM

Ill buy HD DVDs til the end. All Warner titles will be HD DVD. Although I did slip to nuetral this weekend Im only getting the BD so that I will have the inevitable winner of the format sadly.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:51 PM

Now they say they might continue to supply HD DVD if there is a demand for it? Umm. I'm confused. Unless I'm misreading you Blurry, that is what they said is it not? I realize it would be catalog titles and no new releases but what's the point?
Old 01-06-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayz View Post
Now they say they might continue to supply HD DVD if there is a demand for it? Umm. I'm confused. Unless I'm misreading you Blurry, that is what they said is it not? I realize it would be catalog titles and no new releases but what's the point?
That is their press release. What they said is what they will not be doing is authoring new releases after May for HD DVD, so those new releases will not be available. But they are also saying that for titles already authored, then if a retailer wants them, they generally will provide them (this is Warner's words, from their press release, though they do go on to say that they are stilll evaluating this, so that could change). So if they stick to that, then Warner's existing catalog could be around for a while.