VOD: Opportunity for Toshiba? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2008, 10:45 PM

Default VOD: Opportunity for Toshiba?

Some people have been talking about VOD with the recent events. This to me sounds like a reasonable alternative. So I've been looking around at the various services to see the state of things. The problem is that every service/player is proprietary. So if you buy into the wrong service and it goes belly up...sucks to be you. So at this moment it doesn't make sense to go Digital just yet. But I was thinking, Toshiba could be in a key position to do something about it. Their players already come with an ethernet port. If they were to include a HDD drive in future players, and then negotiate an agreement with a couple of these services....

This idea has several large problems...
1. Toshiba would have to basically admit defeat in the disc war. Can't see that happening.

2. You'd have to convince the services to go open standard. Really can't see that happening either.

So this idea would never work, but it would be the best of both worlds for consumers. A DVD/HD DVD player plus VOD... I only wish.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:14 AM

No true movie fan would like to see VOD coming. It's less clear and detailled as HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies are. Just compare some HD-DVDs/Blu-Rays with a Apple Trailer counterpart and you'll see what I mean.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:02 AM

yeah i couldn't do VOD for one thing it would be no better than an HDTV broadcast and having watched some movies on both HD-DVD and HDTV... it's clear that the HD-DVD was better
Old 01-06-2008, 12:12 PM

They'd have to increase the quality to HD/BD levels before I'd show any real interest but thats not as hard as people may think. I can download a 30G file quicker than I can get to a shop or order from amazon.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
They'd have to increase the quality to HD/BD levels before I'd show any real interest but thats not as hard as people may think. I can download a 30G file quicker than I can get to a shop or order from amazon.
You'd have to be in the minority there though wouldn't you? Maybe not for the Amazon scenario, certainly for getting to a store though?

Many people here in NZ don't even have data caps that large.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:34 PM

Sure, it will never be as popular as say DVD due to the reasons you mentioned above. But right now Blu-ray and HD DVD are nothing more than a niche market too.

And it would only take one 'killer app' to push demand for better infrastructure. But all of this is a year or two away, anyway. By then both download speeds and storage costs will be adjusted a little better.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:45 PM

i love the countless threads on this. HDDVD is now dead and so HDM becomes a much more solidified and viable format. However, now many ex HDDVD fans are now pontificating blus death due to VOD and the like....something that has only become LESS likely not MORE likely in the last 2 days.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:32 PM

Lehm, I don't know why Toshiba couldn't merge or buy out one of these companies like Vudu and do it themselves. Really, an HDDVD - Vudu merger makes a lot of sense, if at all logistically possible. HDDVD, barring a miracle, isn't going to be the next optical format, so what's after that? VOD. Vudu has a good start in this area. And Vudu could benefit from HDDVD technology as well. A Vudu with an HDDVD drive, HDDVD PQ and AQ and hdi interactivity features for the same price as a bluray player would be a winner. I think lots of angry HDDVD users with loyalty to Toshiba would jump on it.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
Wow. Do you live in the Desert Of Sahara? I could order a HD-DVD from Amazon just now and after this trying to download the same title immidately with my DSL 2000 Line. The download would obviously take 1-2 days, the Amazon shippment too
Old 01-06-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
No true movie fan would like to see VOD coming. It's less clear and detailled as HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies are. Just compare some HD-DVDs/Blu-Rays with a Apple Trailer counterpart and you'll see what I mean.
I consider myself to be a movie fan. It's the content not the quality of encoding that counts. Apple intentionally makes the trailers low bandwidth. Just because one company puts less than stellar quality video doesn't mean the whole tech is no good.

I'm going to stand by my position. I will support HD-DVD until it dies; buy whatever movies come on HD or SD for everything else. I'm not going to invest in another disc tech. My next player will be some kind of VOD. It's not anything against Bluray, it just doesn't make any financial sense for me to do so.