Will the WB switch stick? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2008, 07:50 PM

Default Will the WB switch stick?

Follow me on this one...

Ok, so the rumor is that up until recently the HD DVD group was expected to be announcing FOX and WB exclusivity, right? Why would they be counting on that without contracts in place? That doesn't seem like a smart thing to do. I can't help but think that there should have been agreements and deals that were in place before yesterday. Toshiba has already stated that it came as a surprise, especially in light of "numerous contracts" with WB. They are now taking time to look at the situation and the implications of the switch. Don't you think it's a little odd that they'd be two days away from announcing supposed exclusivity from two major studios and have nothing to back it up? Seems strange to me.

What do you guys think of this?
Old 01-05-2008, 07:54 PM

I dont know but I do not believe its to late to sway Warner back to Red and possibly Fox too.

it would take alot of money tho, but if Toshiba, Microsoft, and Universal (strongest supporters) pooled money it wouldnt be hard to pay the studios plus any contract breach fees with BDA
Old 01-05-2008, 07:55 PM

Oh, I doubt that there was binding contract forcing WB to go exclusive, maybe just a letter of understanding.

However, it does seem likely that Warner had a contract to continue supporting HD DVD until end of May at the earliest, and Toshiba may have been relying on that to prevent Warner from declaring for Blu (they likely assumed that if Warner pulled out of the understanding, they would still stick to their other contract, which does not seem like an unreasonable expectation to me).

In fact, common sense dictates that this was likely the case. It is pretty clear that Warner has a binding contract until the end of May. What good is such a contract if they verbally dump HD DVD even if they are materially providing titles? Such a thing really makes no sense, which makes me think that WB likely did break an aspect of their contract.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:14 PM

Just makes me wonder if MS has offered any $$$ yet. Or will they??
Old 01-05-2008, 08:21 PM

I dunno. Like I said, the whole thing seems way to damn strange to me.

Here's the rationale:

We aren't releasing V, Batman or the Matrix on BR because we can't get what we want on the discs...

We don't look at gaming machines as viable HDM playback devices

BUT, with the PS3 included, BR is outselling HD in software by a 2-1 ratio, with ten times the players...

Yup, lets' go with the format that we can't author discs for to play on devices that are (at this time) incapable of playing them anyway...WTF

Something just ain't right about it!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:23 PM

I agree, smells like the dumpster outside Long John Silvers to me.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:26 PM

Well at least announcement got me nuetral. So I will be happy no matter what. Although I wish it is untrue..
Old 01-05-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayz View Post
I dunno. Like I said, the whole thing seems way to damn strange to me.

Here's the rationale:

We aren't releasing V, Batman or the Matrix on BR because we can't get what we want on the discs...

We don't look at gaming machines as viable HDM playback devices

BUT, with the PS3 included, BR is outselling HD in software by a 2-1 ratio, with ten times the players...

Yup, lets' go with the format that we can't author discs for to play on devices that are (at this time) incapable of playing them anyway...WTF

Something just ain't right about it!
You've outlined perfectly why this decision is simply not logical. To suggest that at this point "customers have decided" is absurd considering there are only 1.2-3.5 million players out there for both formats combined. Big deal.

Unless Warner has decided to give up on interactivity (then why create the AIC with Toshiba, et al a while back?), I don't understand the move to Blu-ray only. Unless it's a plan to set the fire on under Toshiba's ass, it doesn't make sense.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:35 PM

Default Warner staying Blu, unless....

I'm thinking unless something miraculous* happens Warner will stay Blu...

*Miraculous = Massive amounts of money from Toshiba, MSFT and NBC/Universal along with subsidization on discs as well as pulling another studio over to their side, making the support split far wider that 60/40.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:35 PM

Maybe it's a conspiracy Warner changed sides so that they can bring some crap movies to Blu-Ray now. This way they will let Blu-Ray look like some bad idea.