Microsoft Keynote: Sunday, January 6th, 2008 6:30 p.m. Watch LIVE - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2008, 07:06 PM

Default Microsoft Keynote: Sunday, January 6th, 2008 6:30 p.m. Watch LIVE

Lets hope Microsoft has some good news for us HD DVD fans.

we are down but NOT out. Microsoft has very deep pockets, lets see how committed to HD DVD they really are.

watch live online at http://www.microsoft.com/ces
Old 01-05-2008, 07:09 PM

I'm not expecting any new or exciting HD DVD news, maybe they'll indicate that they haven't jumped off the Titantic yet. Aside from that not a whole lot HD DVD wise.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:18 PM

Microsoft aren't committed to HD DVD at all, they've shown that over and over. They are however, committed to VOD.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:19 PM

MS probably had a big emergency meeting since news broke of WB going blu-ray and also the hd-dvd news conference being cancelled at CES of what to do.

I wouldnt put anything past/be shock at what they announce bc they have deep pockets and could do something risky.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
Microsoft aren't committed to HD DVD at all, they've shown that over and over. They are however, committed to VOD.
Where do you get this from? Of course they are commited to HD-DVD? They're one of the biggest major supporters.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltresea38 View Post
MS probably had a big emergency meeting since news broke of WB going blu-ray and also the hd-dvd news conference being cancelled at CES of what to do.

I wouldnt put anything past/be shock at what they announce bc they have deep pockets and could do something risky.
the press conference was postponed not canceled. they will almost positively likely have a press conference at CES. what they announce will be key and I for one am excited to hear about it.

how about the HD DVD Prg paying spielberg some millions for the rights to release his movies on HD DVD exclusively. that would be a good start
Old 01-05-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDT View Post
Lets hope Microsoft has some good news for us HD DVD fans.

we are down but NOT out. Microsoft has very deep pockets, lets see how committed to HD DVD they really are.[/url]
IMO Microsoft is not going to do anything for HD DVD. They clearly haven't shown nearly as much comittment as Toshiba. They do need to counter PS3 somehow, though, and how they do that will be interesting.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
IMO Microsoft is not going to do anything for HD DVD. They clearly haven't shown nearly as much comittment as Toshiba. They do need to counter PS3 somehow, though, and how they do that will be interesting.
Frankly, I am not sure how much of a supporter MS is at the moment. Even though they have been vocal proponents of HD DVD, it seems that some of the issues that they had with the BDA have been resolved, such as managed copy and perhaps more use of VC-1 (which it should be noticed is used to high degree be Warner, so MS may not want to piss them off). They have always been leaning red, but still not 100% committed since some of their technologies are used by Blu (ie. VC1). In fact, sad as it may be, MS might actually be less of a supporter since VC1 is an important technology for them and they still need to evangelize it with Blu studios.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Force Sony to spend half a billion dollars to to get Warner and Fox to stick with them? J/K but it will hurt Sony's bottom line.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDT View Post
the press conference was postponed not canceled. they will almost positively likely have a press conference at CES. what they announce will be key and I for one am excited to hear about it.

how about the HD DVD Prg paying spielberg some millions for the rights to release his movies on HD DVD exclusively. that would be a good start
So I'm not the only one who has an understandement for American English (I'm not even living in the US )

Someone should just dump our answers about this CES thing together and make a sticky out of it for anyone who isn't aware of the differences between "posponing something and canceling something".