Warner Bros....The Real Story - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2008, 05:56 PM

Default Warner Bros....The Real Story

So this story goes something like this.

Warner is going HD DVD exclusive, and wants to bring Fox along. By doing this they will stick with the format that they've clearly preferred since day one and ensure that the format war ends. But then moneybags BDA comes into play, waving millions of dollars in the face of both companies.

Fox takes the bait.

What is Warner to do? Do they stay Neutral or go Red? Both options will surely lead to a prolonged war, consumer confusion, and possibly damage any hopes of HDM becoming anything other than a niche market. So they do what is in their best interest...they go Blu.

They do this to ensure that HDM survives. Not for our sake, but for theirs. The home video market it a multi-billion dollar industry, and they alone had the power to save it or doom it. So they saved it.
----------------------------

Now you may not be happy with their decision. I know that out of my 41 HD DVDs, that over 30 of them are Warner. I absolutely love Warner! But if it weren't for their decision to go Blu, then not only would Blu be in trouble, but Red would be too! It is no secret that Digital Downloads are just around the corner. Most of us bought into HD DVDs because we like a physical format. Something we can hold and show off. Something that we can say, "THAT'S what I spent my money on." You can't do that with downloads.

Look, we've all invested money in HD DVD, most more than myself. We've invested our time on these boards, discussing the format. We've even gotten together on HD DVDs and had movie screenings! HD DVD is, and always will be a superior format to Blu-ray. But there comes a time when you just have to do what Warner did and concede.

The fact that Warner wanted to go Red and was sooooo close to bringing Fox over to our side should make us happy that they were on our side. Those decrying the actions of Warner Bros. are blinded by the betrayal that they feel. Warner wanted to wanted to go Red, but more importantly, they wanted to end the war for the sake of themselves, yes, but also for those of us who buy into physical formats. If anything we should be pissed at Sony for waiving that money around again and screwing us, the real movie lovers, not the gamers, out of a superior experience.

Whether or not their plan will work with Blu-ray still being so damn expensive, we'll have to wait and see. But they did the best thing they could do to ensure that HDM survives.

In the end, Warner was just doing what it had to do to save us all from a future of digital downloads, and for that I can only say "Thank You!"
Old 01-05-2008, 05:58 PM

Was that sarcasm? You really can't mean this.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:59 PM

Well, I wouldn't thank them, I think HD DVD was better for the consumer especially once the market developed (not just in terms of capabilities that the studios can provide, but in accessibility for individuals and small businesses to make their own - Blu-ray has built in checks limiting what people can do and how they can resell them). However, I do feel it was their decision to make so my anger at them is primarily around their timing and the impression that they may have stabbed Toshiba in the back.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
Well, I wouldn't thank them, I think HD DVD was better for the consumer especially once the market developed (not just in terms of capabilities that the studios can provide, but in accessibility for individuals and small businesses to make their own - Blu-ray has built in checks limiting what people can do and how they can resell them). However, I do feel it was their decision to make so my anger at them is primarily around their timing and the impression that they may have stabbed Toshiba in the back.
BTW: I have a new name for Warner Bros. How about Brutus Entertainment (history nerds will know what I mean)
Old 01-05-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
BTW: I have a new name for Warner Bros. How about Brutus Entertainment (history nerds will know what I mean)
And the BDA is the Roman senate...
Old 01-05-2008, 06:06 PM

I am pissed at the timing of the announcement, but I meant what I wrote sincerely. I'd rather have one format than a downloaded file.

Blu-ray is a quality format. It's not bad. It's not as good as HD DVD is, but it will get there.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:10 PM

I don't think digital downloads are any threat to any kind of physical media. Internet speeds are not nearly fast enough, and the consumer wants a physical product in their hand (don't say music downloads b/c those take 2 seconds and a cd-rw drive is used by everybody and there grandmama).
Old 01-05-2008, 06:13 PM

This digital download thing is horse****. Why does everyone think that HD movie downloads are a good thing? There is not enough bandwidth out there to do it and movies are not music. Completely different animals. And you look and see how drm has made peoples' lives miserable and you act like studios can't wait to jump into another itunes scenario.

Physical format is infinitely better if you love film.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindibudd View Post
This digital download thing is horse****. Why does everyone think that HD movie downloads are a good thing? There is not enough bandwidth out there to do it and movies are not music. Completely different animals. And you look and see how drm has made peoples' lives miserable and you act like studios can't wait to jump into another itunes scenario.

Physical format is infinitely better if you love film.
Yep. Right. Just look for the Apple Trailers. They are sharp and detailled that's for sure. But they can't really compare to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:17 PM

Calereneau, I agree 100% with your summation of the situation. Up to a week ago, the pendulum quite conceivably could have swung the other way, with Warner and Fox going to the HD DVD camp, and today, the red side would be celebrating. I think it really was that close.

But, the pendulum didn't swing that way, and Sony made whatever financial enticements they needed to keep Fox Blu, and got Warner in the process.

In the end, as long as we quickly move to one single HDM format, we will all be better off. We should all be grateful that Warner has finally made a decision one way or the other.

(I should add that I have 102 HD DVD titles in my collection, and only 19 Blu-ray titles, and though I would have rathered the pendulum had swung red, I applaud Warner for finally jumping off the fence and committing one way or the other.)