What about 2008 why the fear - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2008, 04:45 PM

Talking What about 2008 why the fear

IF Universal and Paramount can stay strong they have some of the biggest movies this year besides Batman from WB . I believe HD-DVD will not be going anywhere for at least another year. no need for firesales guys its not the end yet.

I am format neutral also but still prefer my RED over BLU
Old 01-05-2008, 04:52 PM

Would say so too. Only difference: I wouldn't say that it would only live a year from now on.

I already said this somewhere else I think but dying formats alone take 1-2 years to dieout (look at Betamax,look at Laserdisc. Both Pioneer/Sony by the way). So HD-DVD which isn't in the dying or drying phase now will even take longer to be gone.

BTW: I was really looking forward to see "I AM LEGEND", "The Golden Compass", "The Lord Of The Rings" and "The Hobbit" on HD-DVD.

But at least The Lord Of The Rings, The Hobbit and I AM LEGEND won't be released (The Golden Compass is sheduled for a April/May release already) on HD-DVD. So I'll have watch myself hacking the Blu-Ray regionlock.

So thank you Warner Bros. you said me to do this, so no offense if I'll do it.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:42 PM

Given the prices of players, HD DVD will still sell. The regular consumers will still be turned off by BD player prices. I'm sure if sales were to turn around Warner would not hesitate to adjust their plans. If they see money, they will follow it. At the very least there are hundreds of movies and players are $180...it's still a deal!!