Bill Hunt's Bittersweet Victory - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2008, 01:26 PM

Default Bill Hunt's Bittersweet Victory

I wanted to post this here instead of the Smackdown forums, because I don't want to sound like a sore loser. I'm not, for the record, but there are so many BD fanboys gloating over there right now that it's not worth the attack.

Bill Hunt publicly backed Blu-ray because he thought it was the closest format to mass adoption, with PS3 sales driving sales. It also had the most studio support, so it makes sense to back a format that's 60% toward the finish line, rather than 40%.

When Paramount went HD DVD exclusive, he cried foul, saying it prolonged the format war and didn't allow the consumers to chose between the two. The ironic part was that it ended as it started, in that the consumers never had a say in which format should be "the one". Fox and Disney were courted by BDA with incentives, no question. Universal was courted by HD DVD PRG with incentives, no question. Paramount's exclusivity was bought by HD DVD PRG with incentives. And now BDA essentially bought WB and FOX to stay exclusive with Blu-ray. It was never a situation where consumers chose a format based on price or features. It was, "if you want Transformers, you need to buy HD DVD", or "if you want Disney, you need Blu-ray."

The sad truth is these exclusives on either side sold well, relatively speaking. Transformers did well regardless of format, PotC did well regardless of format. But no film was positioned to do well in the mass market because of the behind-the-scenes deals between the rival format groups. If Pirates or Transformers were available across both formats, they would have most likely drove HDM into maturity, but instead they stifled it.

Bill Hunt is undoubtedly flying high right now, but things were very close to going the other way, and I wonder if he would be just as happy if Fox and WB went Red and caused HD DVD to be "the one" format. After all, it's a single format he wanted all along, wasn't it?
Old 01-05-2008, 01:53 PM

Guess we will never know at this point.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:25 PM

Who cares? Bill Hunt has burned his bridges, and alienated everyone who ever had any liking for HD DVD. I will never use his site regularly again, like I used to when it was all about DVD.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:47 PM

No matter what, even if HD DVD does in fact die, and Blu-ray succeeds in becoming THE high definition media disc format worldwide, Bill Hunt will still be a blowhard idiot.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
No matter what, even if HD DVD does in fact die, and Blu-ray succeeds in becoming THE high definition media disc format worldwide, Bill Hunt will still be a blowhard idiot.
Enough Said
Old 01-05-2008, 05:55 PM

Lots of What-ifs don't matter now, time better spent listing your player and collection on ebay.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshynepo View Post
Lots of What-ifs don't matter now, time better spent listing your player and collection on ebay.
How about a serious suggestion instead writing this everywhere? There isn't a point in selling them (especially not now.).

BTW: You as a Blu-Ray only user aren't really creditable if you write this.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:58 PM

I completely understand and empathize with people who have problems with Sony and trusting them again. But Bill Hunt is just a guy who runs a site and has an opinion. Its nothing to lose sleep over.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:58 PM

I used to be a reader of his site everyday, and even respected his opinion enough to look at Blu first, based off his recommendation and why he believed so. But when I looked at the players and movies available, I was sold on HD DVD. He may be right that BD is the winner in the future, but right now the better format is HD DVD.

His column was where I heard the news first. It sure sounded like he was gloating to me. I won't be going back again either. HDD is a much more comprehensive look at both formats, without the editorials.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:05 PM

Wasn't Bill Hunt the guy who really got mad after the Blu-Ray camp cut his payment's shortly after Paramount and Universal had changed to the HD-DVD forum?